Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 more Monarch cats...

Posted by Leafhead 4b WI (johngern@gmail.com) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:56

I just got back from checking on my little cat over at the job, and decided to check for more hatching eggs on the Milkweed. I found a #2 instar I missed from the first fly thru and two newly hatched cats. I immediately picked a top off a nearby mw and transferred them both onto it c a sharpened pencil. They are now all happily feasting alongside my #3 on common mw.
All my little ones at home, 4 in all, are doing fine and just entered #2 instars. I changed their mw and goaded them onto it c a toothpick. They get easier to work with as they get older.
Each mw sprig is mounted in moist floral foam on a clay saucer and covered c a wide glass vase. All four are munching on Swamp mw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 more Monarch cats...

Neato!!! Congrats on the find. :o)

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 21:27

Hooray! !! Congratulations.

o

It's always good to hear that someone has Monach cats, especially this year when they seem really rare. Enjoy!

Sandy

o

Thank you all for all the congrats and well wishes:)
Grand total as it stands... 13 between my private garden and my job site gardens:-D. I found 5 more little hatchlings when I got home, just happened to see telltale damage on my incarnatas.
I have yet to see a Monarch in flight, including the ELFs that laid these eggs. I did however, see an American Lady at both gardens. I think I'm going to have a butterfly season after all, and there will be 13 more of these rare beauties for the long trip home.
Not to mention all the ALs

o

John,

So glad to hear you have babies to raise. I hope mama Monarch continues to leave you lots of eggs.

There have been so few sightings this year. I keep checking the Monarch Watch map and there aren't many dots on it so far this season.

Mary

o

You've inspired me to take another walk down to the unmowed field on my road. I've not seen or heard of much/any Monarch activity in Michigan. But, someone has to be the first to find them, right? We've had a ton of rain this spring, but there have been plenty of sunny stretches, as well. Everything is certainly green and healthy.

Keep up the good work!

Martha

o

Hope you are visited soon:) Maybe one of mine will make it up your way...

o

Congrats on your babies! I've got 4 BST cats but no Monarchs yet.

According to Journey north, they have been sighted in the northeast. i haven't seen any yet, but maybe I should check out the (fairly) large wild patches about a mile down the street. We've had tons of rain in the past few week, which may not be their preferred weather, but it has made everything green and lush. My common milkweed is 2-3 feet tall and budding. There is plenty of food for them here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here