Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

honeyvine milkweed?

catherinet
10 years ago

Just found our thousandth potentially noxious/invasive plant on our property.......its a honeyvine milkweed. Supposedly its a true milkweed and attracts monarchs..........but can get out of hand.
Anyone in the zone 4/5/6 area have this plant on their property?
Thanks

Comments (9)

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Lots of it, and yes, it can take over. I just removed a half dozen today from spicebush, currants, gooseberry. It likes to climb small shrubs.

It does support monarch caterpillars and is an important plant where typical milkweeds do not grow. It has small white flowers that smell heavenly. Hence "honey" vine.

The first time I found a monarch chrysalis in my yard was because of this vine as I had not planted any milkweed yet. I have since found the occasional caterpillar on it.

If you decide to keep some around, just try to remove the pods as soon as possible. One pod equals about a thousand new plants. Maybe not that many, but it sure feels like it :).

Elisabeth

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Elizabeth.
    I don't know what it was about this past year, but everything has grown like crazy here.....especially all the invasives and most especially crazy vines. I'll do as you said and remove the pods before the seeds can drop.
    Thanks again.

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Yeah, grapevine has taken over this year. It is a really good year for vines.

I am not sure where you are located but if it is northeast, just make sure it is not one of the invasive cynanchum/swallow-worts, black swallow-wort in particular. They attract monarchs to lay eggs on but they cannot survive on the plant. I posted a link below.

-Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Swallow-wort

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up bananasinohio. I haven't seen that invasive yet. Its probably the only one we don't have! (except for
    kudzu). That stuff is criminal! I hope you don't have it.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

I've never seen this vine in the wild and the vines I grow, I keep in a big pot. I've never seen a seed pod on them but if it ever does produce one, it will be easy to reach and remove before the pod matures. It would be entirely different if it were located 20 ft up in a tree so I can see why people would be careful about growing honeyvine. It does have a heavenly fragrance when in bloom.

Mary

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

In my area they never get 20 feet. Maybe because they need really good support like a bush or a fence. The tallest is around six feet on my chain link fence. Twenty feed would be scary!
    -Elisabeth

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

In my area they never get 20 feet. Maybe because they need really good support like a bush or a fence. The tallest is around six feet on my chain link fence. Twenty feed would be scary!
    -Elisabeth

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I've never measured mine, but 20' seems reasonable, considering how vigorous and invasive they are. They come up everywhere, and I broke a branch of a good salvia yesterday pulling a branch of it off the salvia.

Still, it's been good to have around at times.

Sherry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the first year I've ever seen them here. I have a bunch of the flower balls........where do the big seed pods grow......right on that area? The pics I've seen of the pods don't look like they grow from the balls..........but I guess they have to..??