Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Monarch egg hatched!

Posted by spaceman13 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 14:00

My first Monarch egg hatched last night!
I was able to see the dark colored head through the egg, so I figured it would hatch soon and put the egg leaf on top of a few small fresh leaves.

I checked it before going to bed last night, and I could no longer see the egg. I assumed it had hatched, but did not see the caterpillar. Despite my excitement, I resisted the urge to start rummaging around to find it, and it would be better off if I just left it be.

This morning I looked between the egg leaf, and the fresh leaves and saw the instar, munching away! Woo-Hoo!

I set out to finish the "Penthouse Suite" of the "Monarch Hotel". When I got it done, was going to take some pics to post, and got called in to work early! D'OH!

I came up with a great idea to put fresh milkweed stalks in, without fear of cats falling into water. Will post pics later today!

Thanks for looking,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Monarch egg hatched!

Congrats, Mark!
It sure is exciting, isn't it?
Sherry

o

Can't wait to see the pics!

No monarch BFs, eggs or cats here, yet. :(

Betty

o

Yeah! Go spaceman caterpillar!

o

Congratulations! Nothing as exciting as that first hatching egg! Keep us posted on how it is developing, and please let us see your ingenious sprig widget.

o
SpaceCat Molted!

SpaceCat Molted!

Here is spaceCat, 1st instar shortly after hatching, very small and hiding all the time. By the time I got the camera set up, He/She was out of sight!
Photobucket

I looked in the enclosure this morning and SpaceCat had just finished molting!
Photobucket

o

Yeah! Congrats on getting it to hatch successfully! :)

o

How adorable - monarchs are such cute cats!

Sherry

o

Very Cool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here