Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cats are eating my Purple Coneflower?

Posted by flutterby64 7a North Central AR (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 14:04

Hi everyone

I have caterpillars on my Purple Coneflower that I hope someone can identify. I haven't been able to find a reference that lists coneflower as a host. The cat pictured is 3/8" long. Several cats attack a single leaf at once. When they are done with it, the leaf is black and covered with frass. They also eat the bloom petals. They are quickly destroying the foliage. Can someone please tell me what they are?

Thanks,
Dana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cats are eating my Purple Coneflower?

Silvery Checkerspot

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures and info.

o

Lucky you :-)>You're in for a pretty show of butterflies.

o

Cool! Runmede, thank you, for the I.D.! This is my first opportunity to raise Silvery Checkerspots. Can I raise them indoors the same way I raise Swallowtails and Monarchs? Are these early enough in the season that they should eclose before winter?

Dana

o

I'm not getting replies for most of the posts I address and sign up for.

Yes, you can raise them like you raise the swallowtails. That caterpillar looked pretty mature. Caterpillars now will finish their cycle, pupate, and emerge. They winter over as caterpillars in a leaf nest.

This post was edited by runmede on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 19:00

o
Silvery Checkerspot Lifecycle Info

See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info for silvery checkerspot life cycle.

o

Thank you for the info., Runmede. I've brought a few cats indoors and they are eating great. Their behavior is interesting. Each time I go back to the plant for more leaves, the second I touch a leaf every cat on the plant turns loose and falls to the ground. I've never experienced this with swallowtail or monarch cats. Sure, they will drop off if disturbed enough, but I wonder why they don't drop off at the slightest disturbance. Seems like more of them would survive.

Dana

o

I just released my first Silvery Checkerspot! Thought you might like to see it.

Dana

o

Oh, how gorgeous!!!! Congratulations!!

Sherry

o

Beautiful! Thank you for updating us. Love it. Would love to find some caterpillars on all my plants for them...

o

What a good job you did raising them Flutter. It's beautiful. Have you been able to release any more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here