Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's destroying my Asclepias Incarnata?

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 14:25

It's not monarch cats, but something is eating or somehow annihilating my swamp milkweed. I'm so discouraged, since I bought at least three good-sized plants last year, then found some growing near a ditch and dug up quite a few more.

I do have seedlings coming up from seeds I sprinkled, and some seedlings that docmom shared too (thanks again!).

One plant that came up wild last year is back and doing OK so far in a different area of the garden, along with one I transplanted there last year.

Any ideas what this could be from or if there's any way to rescue the plants that have parts of their leaves left?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's destroying my Asclepias Incarnata?

Here's another picture. It's hard to see what's going on, so I'll try to get a better picture too.

o

Looks like a rabbit or a woodchuck. The plant is still viable as long as its root system is intact.

o

Something's leaving small holes in the leaves that eventually destroys/eats the whole leaf.

o

You probably have the milkweed stem weevil. I have been battling it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Stem Weevil Photos and Info -- Click Here

o
Milkweed Stem Weevil Destroy Milkweeds

Here's more information:

"Valerie Evanson's Garden
Milkweed Weevils
By far, our largest problem is the milkweed weevil. They destroyed many seedpods (photo 4 and 5), inflicted leaf damage (photos 6 and 8 ) and caused the death of some of my flower buds and stalks (photo 7). An adult (photo 3). I was not sure if the grubs (photo 1) in my seedpods were indeed weevil larvae (photo 2 milkweed nymph). So, I raised some in a container, which is what entomologists recommend. After a few weeks the grubs became weevils. I squish every weevil I can catch and destroy any infected seedpods. This helps save my good seedpods so that I can have some seed for the next year. I have noticed that I find more weevils early in the morning before the sun is hot. After it gets hot, look for shady spots on your plant (photo 9) to find them. Also you can gently dig around the base of the milkweed plants to find them -- they hide in the top 1" of soil/mulch."

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures and info on the Milkweed stem weevil

o

Thanks so much, runmede. Unfortunately the pictures in your first link look exactly like my plants. So, so SO disappointing.

I also bought two types of pink zinnia seeds online this year and paid a grower to start two flats (48 plants each) for me. They're just starting to bloom...with tiny gold and orange flowers that clash horribly with all the pink in my garden. Hope the butterflies like them at least.

Thanks again!

o

Butterflies love Zinnias. I hope you have many visiting your garden.

o

I don't have weevils, but unfortunately I have Swamp Milkweed Beetles right now. They're attacking the native Asclepias texana now. In a really bad year when they come repeatedly, they can actually kill plants if the plants are also stressed by high heat and such. I was just squashing their eggs today and yesterday killed 2 adults. I'm going to order a good telescoping inspection mirror to help me check plants. I'm just too old to bend down and do it the hard way anymore!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swamp Milkweed Beetles

o

Hhhmmmm...I'm going to have to take a much closer look. Thanks for the info Linda.

o

Most of these bugs eat at night. Be careful of snakes. Take a flashlight out and you will find them up eating just before dark.

o

Oh no! I found one of those beetles on my milkweed yesterday. My best year for monarch cats so far and now this beetle. Out I go with some soapy water. Hope that it works.

o

The first album that I posted showed weevil and beetle damage. The nymphs of this swamp milkweed beetle do more damage than the adult. You will find them eating 24/7 under the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swamp Milkweed Weevil Info -- Click Here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here