Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An Underappreciated Plant Is...

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 15:05

bottlebrush buckeye. I only have one plant, and I thought I'd lost it after the hurricane, because a big pine tree fell on it. I didn't see it again for several years, then it popped up a few years ago from the root! I usually order some plants in the spring, then pot them up and plant them out in the fall or winter, so I think next spring's plants will be bottlebrush buckeyes. They like shade, and there's plenty of that in my woods. The only negative is that they only bloom once a year, but it's at a time when few native plants are blooming, at least not any that are rich in nectar.
It's blooming now - only one big bloom - and the butterflies are enjoying it. It must have a good bit of nectar, because once a butterfly gets on it, they stay a long time, really working the flowers, and run off any other butterfly that wants to join them. This female pipevine swallowtail spent a LONG time on it.

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An Underappreciated Plant Is...

The Hayes Presidential Center here in Fremont Ohio has a good sized stand of this plant. It is starting to bloom now. I like the way it looks and wouldn't mind a stand of it in my yard.

Karen

o

Sherry, beautiful photo! Thanks for sharing. I must now update my trade list!

-Nel

o

I don't think I've ever seen one. I will have to check what the bloom time would be here.
I still have a gap between spring blooming plants and summer blooming plants when there's not enough in my yard for the butterflies to nectar on but I'm working on it. I planted a lot of seedlings this year.

o

Yes, Karen, a stand of it would look good most anywhere!

And Nel, maybe somebody will have a buckeye (the seed pod) to swap. The critters get mine before they ripen.

Christie, the main value of this plant, to me, is its odd bloom time. Having these in the woods would be nice for the butterflies and probably moths also.

This male spicebush swallowtail was working it a little while ago. The shadows fell on him in such a way as to make his wings look different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here