Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabbage White Host Plant

Posted by spiroan DFW (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 15:10

Hi everyone,

I was out in my back yard yesterday and to my surprise, saw what I think was a cabbage white butterfly laying eggs on arugula in my garden. However, when I looked at the butterfly host plant site that I know of, arugula was not listed as a host plant for the cabbage white (or any other butterfly for that matter). So, two questions for everyone. First, does anyone else know of cabbage whites using arugula as a host plant? And second, has anyone raised cabbage white caterpillars?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabbage White Host Plant

Arugula is in the Brassicaceae family. Cabbage Whites eat every thing in that family.

o

It is listed in the HOSTS database, under the old synonym Cruciferae family name.

I recall one forum member a while back deliberately raising cabbage whites, but since it is a commercial and home garden pest and is very common, few hobbyists bother with it.

o

I don't raise Cabbage Whites deliberately because they are considered an invasive species. However, I don't discourage them from visiting my garden. Radishes and Mustard seem to be favorite hosts around here.

o

Crazy that they are considered an invasive species. Thanks, everyone, for your comments and help.

o

They are not native. They are a species from Europe. If you ever grow cabbage, broccoli, etc., they lay and eat these up. Most people use garden covers to keep them off so they don't have to spray pesticides. They are very prolific, too.

o

Cabbage butterflies are great for when you have a pet praying mantis. Late in the summer, I can count on 12 to 20 cabbages per hour flying through my next-door neighbor's garden. Easy pickins.

I've tried growing broccoli a few times but it is a lost cause.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here