Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Fritillary!

Posted by lisa_h 7 OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 15:20

I forgot to get a picture of it while it was still a caterpillar, but I did catch one as it was making its cocoon. And the next day I looked....and look how pretty it is!!!

Variegated Fritillary making a cocoon

Photobucket

The cocoon is stuck to a piece of paper towel, and not to a stick, do I need to attach him to a stick so it has room to move when it comes out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Fritillary!

Don't move it, just put it in a place where it can climb up something to unfold, pump up and dry his or her wings until it can fly before you release it.

Variegated fritillary chrysalides are so pretty! I usually get the plainer brown and white ones, but occasionally I get a white one like yours.

Congrats, congrats!

Sherry

o

He hid under the paper towel. I wonder if that made a difference in the coloring.

Thanks, I have a net laundry basket thing I usually put them in. I will move it to that.

I took it to church this morning to "show and tell" :) I had brought the caterpillar for one of the VBS classes, so now they could see the chrysalis. It was fairly tolerant of all the oohs and aaaahs, until I picked it up. OOOOHHH, he was not happy and shook himself at me :)

Lisa

o

The white paper towel may have indeed made the difference. The only white ones I've got a picture of were also under a white paper towel -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

But here's a regular one, also under a white paper towel -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

They must really prefer paper towel pupation! :)

Sherry

o

All of mine so far have been white but they have all attached to the mesh on my habitat (it's white mesh.) But that's very interesting because I didn't realize they were different colors.

~Laura

o

Those look so cool! That makes me want to try different colors next time to see what happens. : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here