Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

OT Birds into windows :-()

Leafhead
9 years ago

Does anyone have a tip on how to keep birds from flying into bay windows? Do decals work? I presently have an injured Chickadee in a shoebox for later release, if he comes to all the way :/ This happens frequently and we don't like closing the curtains, which would certainly work. We live on the second floor, right in their flight path. Any suggestions are certainly welcome...

John

Comments (7)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

When we first built this house, a cardinal flew into a window and didn't make it. :( So, I put up several decals of hummingbirds on each window on that side of the house, and it hasn't happened since, since being 1997.

They're SO simple to apply, you can do it in a few minutes.

Sherry

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

I use decals and a string of feathers I got from a bird online store (can't remember it now of course) after finding a Hermit Thrush dead outside our windows, and learning that almost a billion birds die every year from window collisions.

American Bird Conservatncy sells tape that is supposed to work really well. They say that there should be something every so many inches because if a bird thinks there's a barrier, they will try to go to the next spot (explains how they can fly through a forest so well).

You can also use tempura paint if you feel artsy. They have other ways to prevent them them from colliding into your windows.

Hope your Chickadee recovers.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC Bird Tape

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your responses :-)>
    I'm happy to report that our little Chickadee made a full recovery and flew off. He was a little goofy looking for a while, but he straightened out and hopped into my Yew hedge-and started to sing! I'll pick up some decals today and apply them to both problem windows...

John

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Something else that might work (I've seen in a plant nursery) these things that you can hang down and they shine. Shine, reflection. Supposed to scare birds away.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like that idea too, much better than decals. I have some stained glass type art that hangs nicely in windows. I guess I should get them to hang lower...
    I have several decals on the windows now and they seem to be working. No birds have flown into the window since :)

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Thank you Leaf! ^__^

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're welcome :-)>

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County