Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Caterpillars galore!

caterwallin
9 years ago

I don't have any pics yet, but I don't remember when I had so many cats at one time! Other years the various butterfly species laid at varying times. I'd have American Ladies show up in late April/early May and lay on the pussytoes and pearly everlasting, the Black Swallowtails would lay a few eggs here and there and not a whole lot all at once and it was unpredictable when they'd lay their eggs, but it would be intermittent throughout the spring and summer. The Giants would usually show up fairly late, and the Pipevine Swallowtails would be later than what they were this year (the eggs just started hatching yesterday). This year everything is happening all at once, and I've been bringing in dozens upon dozens of eggs and cats.

I've never had female PVST hang around so long to lay eggs. I don't know if it's been the same two femaies, but most days for the past two or three weeks, I've had two butterflies laying on the Aristolochia macrophylla. For the first time since I started getting the PVST here, I'm worried that I might not have enough food, and I have a lot of pipevine. It doesn't take long to find eggs on the pipevine, and I'm just not bringing them all in or that's all that I'd get done. I really don't want to be out there gathering leaves more than I have to because I'm allergic to the pipevine (same as rue); I wasn't at first but am now. Without even looking over all of the pipevine, I'd be willing to bet that there's at least 500 eggs out there. My daughter and I cut off a section that was almost 2 feet long the other day. The cluster of eggs that we saw on the vine before we cut it was around 20 eggs, but little did we know that further down on that same piece of vine were other clusters. Just that one section of vine that we brought in had 70 eggs on it! Before that, I had brought in several clusters that totaled about 60 eggs. So I guess I'll be digging out my big containers to raise the PVSTs or else I'll need more shoebox size plastic containers that I had bought from Walmart several years ago (retrofitted with screen on part of the top). I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I'll have enough food for the Pipevine Swallowtails. I wish that someone else in the area would have a stand of some type of pipevine and I'd gladly give them a bunch of cats. I'm even considering starting to pull off some leaves now and put them in a big ziploc bag in the frig in the hopes that more leaves will grow on the vines to replace them. That way I'd have a supply in the frig (assuming they'd be good for awhile) and hopefully have newer leaves coming on the vines where I take the other ones off. What do you think of this idea?

Other years I didn't have PVST butterflies show up here to lay eggs until the pipevine was already all leafed out. This year they showed up when most of the leaves were still getting bigger. These are my favorite cats to raise, along with Giant Swallowtails after they get out of the tiny dying stage (the GST, I mean) that I seem to have a problem with when trying to raise them.

I've been leaving the GST cats on the gas plants instead of bringing in the eggs as soon as I saw the female lay them. Hopefully they will be okay bringing them in later than I used to. I just brought in four cats last night and so far they're doing okay. They weren't at the super tiny stage anymore. I know that there are more out there on the gas plants (and maybe on the rue too), and I'll probably bring them in sometime today if I feel that they're big enough to bring in. I ordinarily wouldn't advise waiting around to bring in cats, but in my case, I feel that these cats are better off if I wait a couple days after they hatch, which is about this time.

I'm raising a few American Ladies in a pot of pussytoes that I brought in about a week ago and it sits on our back porch (screened in) just so I could show everyone here at the house. Being that they live in nests and have a tendency to keep themselves pretty hidden, I don't usually bring ALs in the raise. I'm hoping that they have a good success rate, considering that they're not exposed like most types of cats seem to be.

I'm sure I could find Wild Indigo Duskywings and Clouded Sulphurs up on my Baptisia australis plants and maybe find cats on my Lupinus perennis (certainly not Karner Blues, I wish) too, but I think I'm up to my eyeballs in caterpillars already. :)

Just last evening I was looking over my Amorpha fruticosa that I have outside in a big pot. I noticed that there were some folded over leaves, and sure enough, a female Silver-spotted Skipper had laid some eggs sometime recently when I wasn't looking. While I was standing there, along she comes (or another one), lands on a flower cluster right in front of me, and oviposits! It was so neat seeing her do that. I looked the plant over better and found some other eggs. I'd document the life cycle of a Silver-spotted Skippers, but being that it's a kind of butterfly that sews leaves shut for its shelter, I really don't want to be disturbing any by opening the leaves. I'll have my daughter take a picture of the egg. My camera quit working, so I rely on her to do any picture taking for me.

I hope that you all are getting a chance to raise lots of butterflies and help out the populations. Now if only we could control other things that could help them out even more, but alas, I don't see it happening. You know how some people are spraying fanatics. And what do you do about the butterflies' (and other wildlife) loss of habitat? Ask people not to have kids so that the butterflies won't lose more of their habitat from people building houses, etc.? Like my husband says, we do what we can to help them in our little area of the world and enjoy what we have here.
Cathy

Comments (7)

• Leafhead
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats and kudos for raising so many cats and providing for so many butterflies :) It also is an indication that your surrounding areas are relatively healthy.
    I'm getting more activity as well here in Wisconsin. I have so many American Ladies that I'm about out of Pussytoes. I've had to shuttle a few cats around who've eaten themselves out of house and home. Now my Everlastings are disappearing (my Anaphalis triplinervis is GONE) and I'm still getting 1-2 ELFs a week!!
    I've also been visited by several Monarchs and I've been rescuing cats around town. Ditto c BSTs on my Fennel and Red Admirals on my Nettles and Pellitory.
    I have talked the landlord of the appts next door to not spray and I've spread out a bit. In return, I keep the lawn mowed.
    The neighborhood kids are involved in gardening projects as well. With time and proper guidance, they will provide habitats of their own to birds, bats and insects around their homes.
    Neighbors who are indifferent or just unaware of the wonders around us can be recipients of donated plants and seeds that need little to no care and attract vital pollinators. They can also be educated about the importance of beneficial insects and spiders and the damage spraying causes. Bugs are more than just flies, mosquitoes and other pests. They're a whole world unto themselves.
    Keep up the good work and spread the word, Cathy.
    Happy Butterflying :-)

John

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

'Sounds wonderful, Cathy! I'm jealous of your giant swallowtails! I haven't seen any at all this year.

Your pipevine swallowtail situation sounds almost exactly like mine. You can hear the PVS cats eating when you go to the garden! I wasn't going to raise any, but I found two chrysalides in the garden, that had been perfectly beautiful until today, with big holes in them, like some predator was chewing on them. It bothered me, so I've brought in a few cats that I found eating pitiful looking leaves - I've given them better food. I'm not going to raise many though, because even if a small percentage of these outside cats becomes a butterfly, there will be LOTS of pipevine swallowtails out there!

I also have been finding folded over leaves on my Amorpha fruticosas, also the Robinia pseudoacacia. I've also seen the adults in the garden. And, like you, I let them raise themselves.

Once you get plenty of big pipevines, you REALLY get the caterpillars, don't you?

Sherry

• frani31
    9 years ago

Hoping to see some Monarchs this year. I had none find my garden last year and the year before I was able to release 5 Monarchs that started from cats that were feeding on my butterfly weed. I live in Hughesville, Pa.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Cathy,
    I understand your frustration re the disappearance of habitat. However, it is amazing how one small yard can attract and support a diversity of wildlife. We need to educate our neighbors, as John suggested, and involve children in our projects so they can pass along the message. My step children think I'm a crazy bug lady, but I give brief descriptions of what I'm doing each time they visit. Hopefully, when they have their own yards, they'll remember a bit of what they heard from me when making choices about how to manage their surroundings.

Even my coworkers have admitted to leaving milkweed plants to grow in their yards rather than yanking them as they would have done in previous years. You never know who is listening or how it can effect them. I even chatted with a Grandma at the store who was buying bug spray for her grandson to keep mosquitoes off of him. People are truly good and want to do the right thing. They just don't know what is right or how to do it.

Martha

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Let's all give a big round of applause for our First Lady.
    Michelle Obama has incorporated Milkweed and other pollinator friendly flowers into the White House Garden. :):) I really think she is one of our better First Ladies.

John

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Go Michelle!!!! Maybe we should send donations of plants and seeds. I'd love to see some wintersown milk jugs on the White House sidewalks.

Martha

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments, everyone!
    John, I'd say that the surrounding area is healthy just like you said. It's a rural area but of course like most everywhere else getting built up more and more by the year. I hope that you'll have enough food to feed your American Ladies. Just last night I decided to bring some in so that we could watch them better. They're much easier to bring in on the Pearly Everlasting than they are on the pussytoes, although I have both and they lay eggs on both. I wasn't going to bring any in, but they're so pretty; I have about 20 on our screened back porch.
    I haven't seen any Monarchs yet. You're lucky that you've gotten a visit from them. I'm really hoping that more and more people will plant milkweed and that their numbers will increase after having such a dramatic drop. If other people would get as excited about the Monarchs and other butterflies as you are, I'm sure that their populations would soar. :-)

Sherry, I wish too that you'd have the Giant Swallowtails pay you a visit. I think they're such a neat caterpillar and butterly even if my mom does say that the cats look like monsters. lol I guess she was used to less "scary"-looking types like the Monarchs and Black Swallowtails, and along comes this big bad Giant. Ha, my mom is in her 70's and makes me laugh with some of the things that she says, but then again, I suppose my family thinks I'm kind of goofy too. They do love raising the cats too though.
    I'll cross my fingers that you get lots of Giant Swallowtails because I know that you have plenty to feed them and would have fun raising them. I think I remember that you too love to raise those and the Pipevine Swallowtails. My PVST are hatching here and there and I have them in several instars now, which reminds me that I should go out and gather more leaves for them.

Martha, That's great that your co-workers are leaving milkweed grow at their places and not pulling them or spraying them. It does our hearts good to see milkweed growing at places. My mom has some that came up in amongst the vines in her yard that I planted for her years ago. You can tell that they're not meant to be there and probably to other people looks unsightly, but I told her I'm leaving them there for the Monarchs and she's fine with that.

I really do try to educate people about the butterflies and hope that some people pick up on it. I bought some parsley at Lowe's the other year and was showing the BST cats on it to people in the store. After having a lengthy talk about them to the clerk in the gardening section telling her what they were, etc., it was very disheartening to me as I was leaving to have her say, "I'd still squish them." Some people just can't be educated, unfortunately, but I think that a lot can. I think that the world would be a better place with lots of butterflies around. I think that all of us here are working on that. :-)
    Cathy

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!