Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Monarchs in Michigan

docmom_gw
9 years ago

I took a drive to my brother's property in Montague, MI which is on the coast of Lake Michigan. His property is a 20-some acre chunk of mostly forest in the middle of largely agricultural land. There are a few sections that were planted in corn until two years ago. There are now occasional clumps of Asclepias syriaca that have popped up where he has stopped the farmer from tilling and planting. I was there to help him plant trees along the property line to "remind" the farmer to keep his farm machinery off my brother's property. While we were there, for about two hours, I saw two Momarchs, or the same one twice. Couldn't tell whether it was male or female, but didn't find any eggs on many of the milkweed I checked. I'm hoping to use his property to expand my native plantings, since I don't have any sunny spots, while he has several acres of open field that he just plans to keep mowed. He said I could mark a section and manage it however I want. So, I'll be on the lookout for native, butterfly-friendly seeds to wintersow and transplant to his place. He likes to plant trees, while I like to plant flowering shrubs and perennials. So, together we'll create a beautiful spot.

I'm excited that the Monarchs found their way here, despite their low numbers. I wonder if the lake and the winds along the coast help them travel more efficiently than flying cross country. My brother says there is lots of milkweed along the beaches. I may need to walk along the beach soon. I have yet to see or hear about anyone seeing Monarchs anywhere else in Michigan this year. Though, I don't usually see them until later in the summer. It's an odd year.

Martha

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths