Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

LHP Snowberry Clearwing Hemaris diffinis

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

Hi All,

I just noticed my big Lonicera sempevirens has been totally defoliated by Hemaris diffinis cats.

I've found lots of cats and an looking for alternate LHP.

I don't have another Lonicera big enough right now.

Does anyone know if they can eat Coralberry Symphoricarpos orbiculatus as well as Snowberry (which we don't have in this area (North Texas))?

Thanks

Teri

Comments (4)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

They can also eat Viburnums and bush honeysuckle, Diervilla lonicera.

I've raised many of these cuties. I'm attaching info from Bill Oehkle's website. I use his website a lot to get info on sphinx moths and silk moths.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemaris diffinus

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only viburnum I have is a llittle baby blackhaw and they grow slowly enough as it is, so I'm not letting them near that thing ;-)

Do you grow that bush honeysuckle Susan? Doesn't seem like it would like our hot, dry, alkaline clay.

Thanks for the link. I had checked but everyone seems to just kind of copy the same wording from site to site so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with coralberry. Some sites list it, some don't.

So anyway I moved them and they'll have to take their chances because they were out of food anyway. I'll try to take a look in few days and see if I can see where they've been eating the coralberry.

Some may go ahead and pupate, they were pretty big.

Wondering how many are now in the ground below that sempevirens, it must have been quite a horde, it's a pretty big bush. But it's intertwined in a cross vine, so that covered up the fact that the honeysuckle had gone bald!

Thanks

Teri

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Oddly enough, these moths have little reported larval food sources, unlike many of the other sphinx moths have many.

I don't think Coralberry gets very large, but I could be wrong.

I use Bill's websits almost all the time for sphinx moth adult and larval info. Many people "copy" from him or use him as the source of their info.

No, I don't grow bush honeysuckle. I don't think it is hardy here in OKC?? My Snowberries are raised on Lonicera flava.

Susan

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coralberry mounds and spreads, mine is probably 3x3x3 with runners heading out in all directions. I've not seen that Lonicera flava before it looks interesting. I imagine if you can grow it in OKC I could probably grow it in DFW if I didn't give it full afternoon sun.

I'll have to ponder where that might work.

Out of town for a few days, I'll inspect the coralberry when I get back and see if I can tell if they are eating it.

Thanks

Teri

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH