Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black butterfly with white spots

Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 15:47

I live in southeast Pennsylvania and saw a medium sized black butterfly or moth today. It had 3 large white spots on each wing top and I saw an orange body or something orange underneath. It landed on a blackberry flower and had its wings open as it rested. I have searched plenty and can't find a name or picture. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black butterfly with white spots

It's probably an eight spotted forester moth.
crazy4bugs

Here is a link that might be useful: forester moth

o

• Posted by ladobe 9 - Las Vegas (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 18:39

Sounds like a Forester Moth (Alypia sp) from the short description you offered, although I don't know if they have ever been recorded in your state. Records are few, very spotty and widespread for A. octomaculata in the NE for example (and yes, they can have or only appear to have 3 white spots).

Best I can do from your description.

L.

o

I can add that the 8-spotted forester is commonly mistaken for a butterfly because they fly during the day and they are prettier than a lot of moths. Do you have any grape vines, or Virginia Creeper around? That is a host plant for this moth.

Susan

o

Yes, It does look like the 8 spotted forester. Gosh you guys are good. But I knew that. I do have grapevines - both wild and cultivated varieties and virginia creeper. I did take a nice picture but it's still in my camera. will post pict later. - kim

o

Their caterpillars are also pretty. But, I didn't raise any because they have a quirky way of pupating (in holes in wood, etc.).

Caterpillar on Virginia Creeper:

Photobucket

Susan

o

• Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 12:09

Wow, thank you to all. I sure hope I see it again. And I will check for caterpillars too.

o

I know I need to post a photo of this moth/butterfly. It was found in Iowa, Council Bluffs. Is tiny, very obvious. There is a photo on my Facebook site under Susan Thomson. Would love an ID for it. It's not an eight spotted forester moth. Wrong shape & color & spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here