Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonkay_gw

It's a moth! It's a hummingbird! It's ... what the heck is it?

jasonkay
15 years ago

I saw the strangest thing in the garden yesterday. It was nectaring some catmint with a narrow snout, was hovering with wings whirring so fast they were a blur, and had a fat brown body with two yellow stripes. I tried to ID it but got nowhere. Looked like something out of Dr. Seuss. Anybody have a clue what it might be?

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Aren't those clearwing hummingbird moths terrific? You've probably seen one of two possibilities: The Snowberry Clearwing moth or the Clearwing Hummingbird moth. Pictured in the link below is Hemaris diffinis (Snowberry). You can also look up Hemaris thysbe.

They are both types of sphinx moths and a real favorite here. I know that some of our members have unbelievable pictures of them....perhaps we can see them again?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• bernergrrl
    15 years ago

Hi, You probably saw one of those darling sphinx moths, often we call them hummingbird moths. Not sure exactly which one, though. They're pretty cool.

If you do a search for sphinx moths, you should get some pictures that could help you out.

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

The yellow lines you mention sound like a nessus sphinx moth, but I haven't seen one of those in quite a while. Just in case, here's a picture I made a few weeks ago of a hummingbird clearwing in my garden -
    {{gwi:477657}}
    Sherry

• bernergrrl
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of the Hummingbird Clearwing that I saw nectaring at delphiniums last year:

{{gwi:488527}}

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

My favorite thing about them, besides their beauty, is how sociable they are. Probably the only insect I can hover over and snap away ;)
    {{gwi:488529}}
    {{gwi:488531}}

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

Sounds like a Nessus Sphinx (amphion floridensis) to me, too. I had one nectaring on the rotten bananas a few weeks ago. They have the stripes, usually two. However, it is not unusual for them to have only one stripe, like mine did. I raised them from cats I found on my Virginia Creeper. I would imagine they might consume anything in grape family as well.

{{gwi:475134}}

Susan

• butterflymomok
    15 years ago

Tracey,

How did you catch the wings on the moths? Mine are always just a blur. Those are incredible shots.

Sandy

• jasonkay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the info, and what wonderful pictures! What I saw was different only in the color of the stripes, and the antenna were not so prominent if I recall correctly. However, now I have some basis for looking up the exact type of moth I saw. Thanks again.

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Could have been a bumble bee moth.

Ed-

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

Oooh Susan, yours is soooo pretty; I've never seen one like that before.
    Sandy; I haven't a clue. I think I just got lucky. I have 2 cameras, a Fuji Finepix 3800 and a Canon E500 DSLR. My first 2 posted in this thread were taken with the Fuji, which is nothing spectacular, but is a wonderful camera.
    Here's a different HBM, that has a bumblebee color to it:
    {{gwi:488533}}
    {{gwi:488535}}
    These pics were taken with the DSLR, which IMO, aren't as nice as those taken the simpler/cheaper camera!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer