Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this butterfly

Posted by Whatis123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 16:15

Could you please tell me this butterfly's name ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this butterfly

This one also. I cannot find them in my reference book. Thank you

o

They're both swallowtails. The first one is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail I believe. The second is a spicebush swallowtail. Congratulations on your find!

o

I think the first one is not a Tiger Swallowtail since it does not have a dark stripes ... I think it could be a Giant. Spicebush swallowtails are usually pretty greenish/blue irridescent I believe... so I'm not sure its that. Maybe a female if it is a Spicebush because the males are definitely more greenish. I'm wondering if it could be a Pipevine?

~Laura

o

Also the tiger swallowtails have black bodies - and this first butterfly has a yellow body which again points to a Giant. Thoughts from the crowd please?

o

The first one is a giant swallowtail, and the second one is a male spicebush swallowtail.

Beautiful!

Sherry

o

Thank you for your answers. All my information said that the first one was a Giant swallowtail that's all and the second was all that was said was it to be black swallowtail. I will look up both of what you all said. Thanks again. I was really lucky to get their picture.

o

The second one is positively NOT a black swallowtail. Black swallowtails don't have the 'lunules' around the bottom edge, and they have a very distinct 'eye' that is, a red circle with a small black dot inside it, all enclosed by a black ring around the red circle - this 'drunk's' eye is at the lower part of the wings next to their body.

Your spicebush swallowtail looks to be newly emerged and is just gorgeous!!

Sherry

o

For comparison's sake... this is a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (yellow form). See the "tiger stripes" that are visible on both the topside and underside of the wings?

~Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here