Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Female Pipevine Swallowtail, Eggs, and Datana Major

MissSherry
9 years ago

I've noticed that a huckleberry bush/Vaccinium arborum near the road looked stripped, and I saw why today -

{{gwi:488724}}

There are about a dozen or more of these caterpillars on the bush - there are several other huckleberry bushes nearby. I believe these caterpillars are Datana major/azalea datana, and they're fairly attractive, what with the red feet! :)

I've been raising some pipevine swallowtails in a big cage on the porch, and the last of them has purged, so I'm through feeding this group. A female was out in the garden about 5-7 days ago laying eggs, and they're starting to hatch today -

{{gwi:488726}}

I thought she was pretty for a female, more blue on her hindwings than most. The vines are SO decimated from all the cats that have been chewing on them that I'm a bit worried I won't have enough food for them. These eggs were laid on some new growth coming up near the bottom of the edge of one group of vines, plus I've been seeing some more new growth on the rest of the vines, so maybe there will be enough to feed them - I've put cow manure mixed with a little chemical fertilizer around the vines, then watered it in to encourage more new growth. These are some hard working vines!

I think I'll raise these hatchlings myself. I enjoy it, and my track record of successfully getting them to maturity is better than theirs! :)

Sherry

Comments (11)

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• cecropia
    9 years ago

Hi Sherry!

That Datana cat is really cool.I don't think they occur up here in Ohio.

I don't have any pipevine cats so my vines are huge and climbing all over the trees and shrubs in my yard.The only thing that eats them is the pesky rabbit that seems to think my yard is his salad bar. Actually I'm surprised it hasn't hurt him,as Aristolochia is supposed to be poisonous.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

If rabbits eat Milkweed (which really shocked me), they'll eat just about anything. Try dog hair around your plants and that will repel them. Most dog grooming salons will gladly give you their sweepings. I'm also experimenting with planting Marigolds around everything new. That is supposed to repel them as well.

John

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dan, long time no hear from!

My vines climb on the chain link fence around my garden, and, so far, that's kept the rabbits off them. They eat a lot of my other prized plants in the woods, though, so I think I'll put some dog hair around plants I want saved - I have three long haired dogs. I never knew that would work, but I'll try anything. Maybe it'll keep the deer off, too?

Do you still raise caterpillars, Dan, I mean, other than pipevine swallowtails?

Sherry

• rickinla
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the abundance of Pipevine Swallowtails Sherry. I think I have an abundance of predators, I've only seen a few PVSTs since the initial visit a while back. Do you have any idea what these guys are? There are a lot of them and they don't seem to be looking for nectar.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know, Rick. It looks like some type of wasp, but it's not the regular type with the red/yellow legs. Probably somebody will know on the Insect Forum or somebody on Name that Bug or What's that Bug, whatever the site is.

If you want some pipevine swallowtail eggs in the future, let me know, and if I get more than I can handle, I'll give you some of the eggs or caterpillars.

Sherry

• rickinla
    9 years ago

Thanks for the offer, hopefully one the few that made it to adulthood will come back and lay some eggs. I'm just not seeng many butterflies of any type yet. I have plenty to feed them when they show up. I did find out that Pipevines are not poisonous to horses since one of my miniature mares ate two small vines to the ground.

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

That is an incredible looking caterpillar!

• cecropia
    9 years ago

I don't have a dog but can get dog hair from a relative who has a German Shepherd that's shedding now.

Yes,Sherry,I still raise various lep species,though last year was kinda slow and this year isn't much better so far.Right now I've got a bunch of third instar cecropias,some lunas,a spicebush and three monarchs.Already raised and released some red admirals and only one was parasitized.

If you get more pipevine eggs than you can handle,feel free to send some up here.Will trade for whatever I have but you probably already have it.

Dan

• roper2008
    9 years ago

Isn't it interesting that the caterpillar is much more dramatic
    looking than the butterfly.
    Sherry you are the butterfly queen. So many varieties there in Mississippi.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad you're still raising cats, Dan!

There are a good many moths whose caterpillars are beautiful, while the adult moths are plain brown things, roper. Some of the slug caterpillars, like the stinging rose cats, are quite beautiful - the adults aren't.

Here's a picture I made several years ago of a dagger moth cat that I thought was quite fetching -

{{gwi:461311}}

The little pipevine swallowtail caterpillars are growly rapidly, and I released my first adult PVS from the second batch of 2014 today, a female. This will be my third batch! We've had a lot of rain lately, so maybe the pipevines will be able to keep up.

Sherry

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!