Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars (NEW)

bandjzmom
10 years ago

And more photos from today. Sorry I didn't add them all to the last post. For some reason, my new post doesn't show right away on my computer. #1D here is very fat and is eating more than the others. Hard to imagine that it was a dark little cat on 6/8/13.

This post was edited by bandjzmom on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 16:59

Comments (10)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is #3D in all of its black velvet glory. It was munching Pawpaw as I shot this one. :o)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Unique ones. I like that these guys are unique. Well, at least they are unique today. Who knowswhat a couple of days will bring? :o)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

The different instars of the differing individuals are SO interesting!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sherry. I was curious as to whether or not the black ones would remain black all the way through, and I got my answer. They don't necessarily. I am also amazed by the differing color schemes and patterns. Do you know how long until they pupate? I know that the Spicebush cats I just had took 3 weeks where my Black Swallowtails have never taken that long. I assume that they will purge prior to pupation?
    Angie

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Yes, Angie, they purge like all swallowtails, but I can't remember how long it takes - it's been a while since I reared my one brood. As I recall, it was similar to the length of time other swallowtail cats take.

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, they are getting pretty big now, and I just keep wondering how much larger they will get before pupation. I guess we just learn as we go. :o) Thanks!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Swallowtail cats can take up to 5 days as a #5 instar to mature and pupate. They'll generally spend 2 days apiece in the lower instars.

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Leafhead! Good info. So, where would you say my cats are right now? 4th or 5th?

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Based on the scale, I'd say 4th.

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a bunch. I believe that we may have a purge with #1 this morning. Sure looks suspicious for purge to me. All of the others are very still this morning. Thinking maybe this is the last molt for them. They were very busy eating during the night, as evidenced by the leaf carnage and frass filled containers.