Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars (NEW)

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 16:57

And more photos from today. Sorry I didn't add them all to the last post. For some reason, my new post doesn't show right away on my computer. #1D here is very fat and is eating more than the others. Hard to imagine that it was a dark little cat on 6/8/13.

This post was edited by bandjzmom on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 16:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zebra Swallowtail caterpillars (NEW)

Here is #3D in all of its black velvet glory. It was munching Pawpaw as I shot this one. :o)

o

The Unique ones. I like that these guys are unique. Well, at least they are unique today. Who knowswhat a couple of days will bring? :o)

o

The different instars of the differing individuals are SO interesting!

Sherry

o

Thanks Sherry. I was curious as to whether or not the black ones would remain black all the way through, and I got my answer. They don't necessarily. I am also amazed by the differing color schemes and patterns. Do you know how long until they pupate? I know that the Spicebush cats I just had took 3 weeks where my Black Swallowtails have never taken that long. I assume that they will purge prior to pupation?
Angie

o

Yes, Angie, they purge like all swallowtails, but I can't remember how long it takes - it's been a while since I reared my one brood. As I recall, it was similar to the length of time other swallowtail cats take.

Sherry

o

Well, they are getting pretty big now, and I just keep wondering how much larger they will get before pupation. I guess we just learn as we go. :o) Thanks!

o

Swallowtail cats can take up to 5 days as a #5 instar to mature and pupate. They'll generally spend 2 days apiece in the lower instars.

o

Thanks Leafhead! Good info. So, where would you say my cats are right now? 4th or 5th?

o

Based on the scale, I'd say 4th.

o

Thanks a bunch. I believe that we may have a purge with #1 this morning. Sure looks suspicious for purge to me. All of the others are very still this morning. Thinking maybe this is the last molt for them. They were very busy eating during the night, as evidenced by the leaf carnage and frass filled containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here