Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

protecting swallowtail cats

david883
9 years ago

Last year I had a ST cat chowing down on my dill I was growing in a re-purposed filing cabinet (removed drawers, tipped it on its back and filled with dirt). This year I grew a little more dill in there but also put a few in a small "butterfly garden in the making" to give them something to eat. Well, the cats are getting a little fatter these days and the dill is starting to bend as they get to the top. Two of them fell out of the filing cabinet today and onto the grass. It was PURE LUCK that I didn't step on the one. I was heart broken that a bird came by and got to them.
Anyway, I'm cutting the dill back a little so this hopefully doesn't happen again. I thought about moving them to the other, smaller dill plants in the garden but one has a bunch of little baby cats on it so I don't want food to get scarce over there. I'm also afraid the little bunny that has been frequenting my yard will harm them.
I also need to look up what other plants are hosts for these guys so I have more options as they eat all the dill. I know sometimes things can't be saved (that's nature) but if I can give them a little helping hand I want to.

So I guess what I'm asking for is... ideas. What has everyone done to protect them in some way? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

Comments (4)

Sponsored