Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_fl

Butterfly garden!

marilyn_fl
10 years ago

I am trying to start a butterfly garden. Went to Lowes and was able to find a butterfly bush and also one at Home Depot. The problem is that it only says butterfly bush on the tags. I wish they would tell the name of the bush so I could look up information about them. From what I can tell these do not have any fragrance to them. I was kind of hoping they would. Hope fully the butterflies will like them. For some reason it seems that in my area of Florida they don't sell fragrant butterfly bushes.

Comments (12)

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

Butterfly bush is buddleia. They come in many colors, usually shades of purple or pink. Mexican heather and coreposis are other plants that can attract butterflies to your garden.

• Mae-pop
    10 years ago

I am just starting a butterfly garden too! My biggest concern with Lowes and HD is the possible pesticide use on the plants. I *finally* had a female monarch lay a few eggs today after several weeks. I will let you know what happens with the cats. Have you looked for local native nurseries? I have had the best luck with them and they are full of knowledge and helpful! I look forward to more responses as I am definitely just learning.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Most states have organizations that provide information about which butterflies are found there naturally and which plants are appropriate for attracting them. Native plants are generally good bets, since the butterflies evolved along with those plants, and have become dependent on them. I would do a google search, or some other search engine, and see what is available that is specific to your area.

Also, you can never go wrong with milkweed for the Monarch caterpillars and for all types of animals that depend on nectar sources. That would be a good place to start.

Martha

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

After re reading your message, I'm wondering if you are referring to Butterfly Bush or Butterfly Weed Plant, which is A tuberosa. Since you mention a Monarch laying eggs, you either have host plants for the Monarch or you're asking about a newly purchased A tuberosa plant, aka Butterfly Weed.

If Butterfly Bush, one butterfly bush that is supposed to be fragrant is "White Profusion", an old variety of Buddleia. It is a strong grower and to keep it in bounds, it should be pruned back each spring to about 12-16 inches. I have one that was pruned about 8 weeks ago and it is already about 6 feet high and setting buds.

Another smaller variety you might watch for is 'Blue Nano' Buddleia. It is a bit smaller, has smaller blooms but in my area, all the flying insects love it for the nectar it produces. I found it last summer at a Wal-Mart, of all places. I had a "Black Knight", which had lovely blooms the butterflies flocked to, but I had to take it out because of it's size. My butterfly gardens are small so I am winnowing out space eaters and trying to replace with smaller sized plantings.

I am evaluating what is supposed to be a small sized Buddleia called "Peacock Butterfly Bush" - Buddleia davidii - Extra Bushy - by Proven Winners. It was a small plant when shipped to me by Hirt's Gardens the end of April and it's already setting buds. I'm anxious to see how well it's received by the butterflies. The bloom color is supposed to be a deep pink. For good, strong growth and blooms, all Buddleia's should be pruned back each spring and side dressed with a good compost or fertilizer. And, to keep Buddleia blooming throughout the growing season, dead head each bloom head as it withers so the plant doesn't set seed.

For nectar, you might want to consider, besides the plants already suggested, Lantana and Pentas, plants that will bloom all season and should produce very well in Florida.

And please don't forget the host plants for the butterflies, as they need these for laying their eggs and feeding the little cats to adulthood.

Welcome to the forum. There are many well informed gardeners here on the Butterfly forum who are most happy to share their knowledge. All you have to do is ask. Have fun, happy gardening and thank you for planting for the butterflies.

Mary

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

I started all my plants from seed. I work at lowes and most plants are normally treated with pesticides. I planted dill,fennel, snapdragons, parsley, Queen Anne's lace, about 6 different types of zinnias, two types of sunflowers, tropical milkweed, two white profusion butterfly bushes which are already budding out, I have a yellow and red hibiscus between those, a butterfly mix seed packet which has calendulas, bachelors button, baby's breath and red clover, two different types of marigolds, white moonflowers, thistles in the back yard are growing naturally, dahlias, I'm prob missed a few plants. I'm waiting to find some passion vines, and I am getting seeds for some pipevine because none of mine ever came up. It's much cheaper to plant from seed than to buy plants. You just have to be patient and start early!!!

• mrmath_gw
    10 years ago

Yesterday I was at a Home Depot in south Florida and they had A. curassavica (tropical milkweed) listed as "butterfly plant". Maybe this is what you purchased.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I never had luck c Buddhlia davidii in Florida. I don't think it likes the soil or the climate. There is a tropical Buddhlia which is yellow and smells awful, but it still draws butterflies.
    Try some Porterweed in your garden. They come in pink, blue and purple and are real magnets for butterflies. Also, Pentas, Lantana, Tithonias, Verbenas and Claridendrons make good nectar plants.
    For hosts, try Passion Vine, Pipevine, Cassia spp, Fennel, Parsley, Tropical Milkweed, False Nettles, Bacopa (wet area plant), Pussytoes and Breynia (Snowcap).

• bettyjo_florida
    10 years ago

I've had problem with pesticides on the plants I've bought at box stores too. Most of my good plants for butterflies have come by begging from friends or neighbors. If you're near Orlando, I'll be glad to share what I have...

My butterfly garden is only a few months old - but doing nicely. I've read that buddleja (butterfly bush) needs to stay in a pot because of nematodes - but mine is the ground is OK, so far.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Keep that soil rich and loamy and the nematodes will stay at bay.

• marilyn_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bettyjo, but I am on the east in Port St Lucie.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

My Purple Emperor had a scent when I bought them, now I don't really notice it a year later (actually, even a few weeks later!).

I think I saw Miss Molly at HD if we're talking butterfly bush. The only one's I've seen at either have been older cultivars that tend to grow large and lanky, and can be invasive (via seed). I have two Black Knights, and they haven't really gotten out of control yet, but we'll see. I'm on the edge for winter survivability for them, so maybe that helps keep them in check.

My current Fav is Red Velvet for the color and least was Blue Chip, the bloom size was pretty small but this will be it's second year so I'll be giving it another shot to shine. It's followed by a yellow one that has weird shaped blooms, but the hummers and butterflies didn't seem disturbed by them, lol.

I know it varies by area, but hit up Google to see if there's any local smaller nurseries near you. I have a few favs that I use as my go-tos for more plants, and two are much cheaper than HD or Lowes typically are. I got my Red Velvets for $8 each at one place and Blue Chips for $5 each at another.

• Tom
    10 years ago

I have buddleas but I am moving away from them for two reasons. First, they need to be deadheaded if one wants the plant to be in full bloom. The second reason is that in Florida the nematodes will get them unless you put them in pots or next to concrete. There are many, many butterfly plants that you can get, but the best nectar plant in my yard by far is the large red penta. It attracts almost any kind of butterfly that uses flowers to nectar. It can be started easily from cuttings; does not need to be deadheaded and will live a long time in a vase if you want a cut flower.

I have not seen a box store that sells the large ones. I have only been able to find them at Biosphere in Winter Garden, but i'm sure that Lucas must carry them and other nurseries as well.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida