Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SNOUT Refeshment!

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:54

Wow! Came out the front door to this sight! With all of the birdbaths that I have in my yard, I can honestly say that I have never come across a butterfly perched upon one and drinking like a bird would. This American Snout Butterfly needed a bit of refreshing I suppose! So happy to have been able to provide it. :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SNOUT Refeshment!

Hehehehe!! I've NEVER seen anything like that, Angie!

You should submit the picture to Birds and Blooms magazine!

Sherry

o

Isn't that something Sherry? I have never seen such a thing either. At first, I couldn't believe what I was seeing! It stayed there a good while drinking. Ya never know what you might see out there!
Angie

o

I agree with Sherry, submit it! Great catch! Never knew butterflies sipped water as well as nectar.

o

Okie dokie ladies. I will take your suggestion. Consider it submitted! :o)
Angie

o

Angie,

You sure that Snout wasn't just mesmerized by his reflection? Glad you are submitting it.

Sandy

This post was edited by butterflymomok on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 14:09

o

Puddling is the more common way that butterflies drink water...and minerals. Great pic!

o

YEP, I am sure Sandy. I stood there and watched it drink. So odd, for sure. Thanks Linda!
Angie

o

Angie, I just noticed the great reflection in the birdbath and couldn't help but comment.

o

It probably enjoyed its reflection as it drank Sandy. I couldn't get over what I was actually seeing at the time. It just struck me as being so so odd. :o)

o

Read your comment and was looking for the like button.

o

Funny Sandy! I do that too. I always wondered why there wasn't also a "dislike" button. Sometimes on FB, I would click on it for sure.

o

Who said butterflies were dumb! I have seen them drinking from a hummingbird feeder but not a birdbath. Cool shot!

Elisabeth

o

Thanks Elisabeth. It sure was an odd sight to behold. I couldn't believe it stayed there long enough for me to go inside and grab my camera.

o

Wow! Great picture Angie! You can see its reflection and its shadow in the water! Cool!

o

Thanks! I was thrilled to be able to get the shot and capture the behavior. :o)

o

Angie, amazing shot! It so exciting to see new things in nature, especially when they have to do with butterflies. Thanks for sharing your discovery, Tony

o

Thanks Tony. I was just blessed to be at the right place at the right time I think. I'll probably never ever witness this behavior again. :o)
Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here