Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The GIANTS are growing!

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 18:19

My Giant Swallowtail cats are growing well. The largest ones are just past the 1 1/2 inch mark now. This is my first time raising them, and I have to say that so far, these are the easiest cats I have ever raised. They are sluggish as all get out, never moving around the enclosure. They stay right on their leaves to molt, and they aren't very big eaters either. They are dream cats! ~~Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The GIANTS are growing!

Yes, indeed, Angie, they're about the easiest cats to raise ever!

Congratulations on your success!

Sherry

o

Thanks Sherry. You were so right about them. Here I was thinking that they might be as complex as Zebras. So glad that they aren't. So far, so good!~~Angie

o

Angie, I'm glad that you are getting a chance to raise the Giant Swallowtails. I just love them despite their dying as small cats that they do when I try to raise them from eggs. I brought about a dozen inside and would have brought more in to raise if she'd have gone more crazy laying eggs, but she didn't. It's unusual because most times when a Giant Swallowtail butterfly is here at the host plants, she lays at least 40 eggs. I haven't seen any cats on the rue at all. Just like last year, she/they prefer the gas plants. I also didn't find any on the wafer ash trees. I'm feeding them gas plant/Dictamnus and wafer ash.
Here's one of my favorite pictures I took of a GST. It looks like it has a face and is saying, "Ho hum." :-)

o

Cool shot Cathy! I only found and collected one egg on my tree, and it did hatch. The little guy is blatantly obvious amongst the bigger guys. I did keep in mind what you had said about them wandering off the host plant and dying. My gut instinct was that they are so sluggish that they honestly couldn't seem to find the way back to the plant. So, if the little guys wandered off, I would let them sit for awhile, but then I would move them back onto the plant. I initially had 18 cats, and now I have 16. Since there have not been any dead ones, I am assuming cannibalism. My largest cats are now right at about 1 3/4 inches long. I just love them. They are fun to watch. I snapped several new shots this morning. Everyone, please indulge me when I post too many GST cat pics? ~~Angie

o

What do you think this stance is about? The cat was just sitting all alone on its leaf with its head up in the air. :)

o

These guys were having a little turf war!

o

As I recall, they hold their heads up when it's hot, Angie. I think they're trying to get some cool air under their bodies! :)

Sherry

o

Those are such cool looking cats!

o

Uff-Da!!

o

Nice pics, Angie, and I'm glad all is going well. They'll get even bigger. If I recall correctly, I think I feed mine for about 3 weeks before they pupate.
Cathy

o

Wow, they are really odd looking. I planted some rue,
and it' really little. Don't think I'll be seeing Giant Swallow-
tails this year, but then I hardly ever see them. My sister
says she see's them, and she's right around the block from
me. I hope to one day raise them also. Good job Angie.

o

They kind of remind me of those old Godzilla flicks...
Mothra!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here