Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Baltimore Checkerspots may actually be Harris' Checkerspots?

bernergrrl
15 years ago

Sigh, I may not have Baltimores afterall. I thought it might be a possibility because I read how close the two species are. Someone from Native plants forum thinks the plants I found these guys on is aster umbrellatus (sp?), which is the host plant for Harris'.

I took a close up picture, and I will quote David Wagner below. What do you all think? Also, I got a pic of the chrysalis. It's cloudy put today, and the chrysalis is in an awkwars position, so I couldn't get a shot where I could see the focus well. I only got one decent pic. Maryann, I'm hoping you'll read this and see if this looks like a BC. But then, would the two species chrysalises look alike?

{{gwi:491249}}

{{gwi:491253}}

Wagner's description about the differences between the two:

"Caterpillars of Harris' have more T2 and A9 with more orange, transverse orange bands are interrupted at the level of the sphericles, and small yellow spots follow sphericles on A1-A8. Branches of dorsal scoli needlelike, less than half the height of the scolus; in Baltimores, more hairlike, nearly as long as scolus height."

I'm not sure I understand all of the scolus stuff...does he mean the little hairs off the original scolus, the one that emerges out of the caterpillar?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• larry_gene
    15 years ago

Not having top-of-the-head knowledge, I did a little reading.

The scoli (scolus is singular) are the rows of projections and may bear hairs (setae) or spines.

From the Wagner description, your photo looks like a Harris, the scoli are bearing needle-like, relatively short spines.

I would question Wagner's use of the word "sphericles" (sphere-shaped) rather than the word "spiracles" (related to the word reSPIRate).

Perhaps ladobe or others could confirm or clarify this.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Larry Gene, Yep, typo :) it's spiracles.

And I am no longer in denial that I have Harris'; last night I looked at this side-by-side comparison tool NABA has, and it's easy to see then the orange that Harris' has on the T2 and A9 (right behind the head and right at the end of the caterpillar). The chrysalis also doesn't look like a Baltimore Checkerspot one.

Oh well,they're still pretty cool, and I'm glad that I have the correct habitat for them since their populations are on the downward trend due to loss of habitat.

Here is a link that might be useful: NABA Side-by_Side Butterfly comparison

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

I looked at the pictures in my books yesterday, and, due to the lack of a large black area near the head, your cat looked like Harris' checkerspot, not a Baltimore. Still, not having raised any myself, I thought I'd wait for somebody else's opinion.
    Harris' checkerspots are beautiful, too, BG!
    Sherry

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks MissSherry. I was soooo stoked to have Baltimores. Maybe they'll still show up. It's been a fun season discovering these caterpillars that overwinter--all new to me! Seems to be so many of them too--it's amazing how they do it, these seemingly fragile creatures.

I've also learned from this experience where T2 and A9 are. :) I'm surprised my eyes still work today from all of the squinting and comparing that I was doing.

• ladobe
    15 years ago

Spiracles is correct for the abdominal/thoracic vents of an insects closed respiratory system.

From Latin... spiraculum - spirare. To breathe (respiro).

Even educated Lepidopterists misspell/misuse (mispronounce) terms at times, but it's really sad if it makes it into print without being caught and corrected by the author.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops, sorry, the typo was mine, not Wagner's. I was trying to type from a book on a lap top precariously positioned on the couch and keep an eye on DD at the same time.

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

BG - I admire you - the fact that you do as much Butterfly Gardening as you do, with a baby! Incredible!

Susan