Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show Us Your Butterfly Garden

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 18:59

I thought it would be fun if people would post their favorite or most inspiration butterfly garden pictures. For someone waiting on butterflies to arrive, like me, these pictures will give me something to look forward to while my plants fill in and start forming blooms. Ideas for next year couldn't hurt either.

Thanks,
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show Us Your Butterfly Garden

Here are some pictures I loaded in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Garden Pictures

o

This is a shot from the garden I consider my butterfly garden, but the butterflies like all of my gardens :)

Photobucket

Black Swallowtail on cosmos:

Female Black Swallowtail

This is my vitex/chaste tree:

Monarch on Vitex - Oct 06

Pipevine swallowtail on my autumn salvia:

Oct 14-Pipevine Swallowtail

Another shot from my butterfly garden: zinnia and annual salvia: (the other shots around that one was a preying mantis eating a monarch. This guy was the lucky one. That was I think the only year I've really seen a preying mantis in my yard.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gulf Frittilary on verbena bonariensis with maidengrass in the background:

Photobucket

Same area, but this is one of my antique roses:

Photobucket

Funeral duskywing on gloriosa daisy:

Funereal Duskywing Skipper 7/4/07

Photobucket

and who knew a foundation bush would be butterfly friendly? :)

Gult frit:

Photobucket

Red spotted purple:

Red Spotted Purple 6/30/07

Question mark:

Question Mark

and the best butterfly spot I've ever had: fall mums

Queen

Pearl Crescent and Variegated Fritillary

Common Checkered Skipper

Female Common Checkered-Skipper and Painted Laby

Reakirt\'s Blue -- Male

there's about 50 pictures in that series....It was a gorgeous butterfly day.

Lisa

o

Wow Lisa. Those are some beautiful pictures. A lot of varieties of
butterflies.

o

This is my favorite in NA... The BTP.

o

Here's a few in my garden proper -
I took this one today of a little common checkered skipper nectaring on porterweed -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I tried to post some more pictures, but they wouldn't download - maybe this thread has reached its limit. I'll start another thread.
Sherry

o

Thank you roper. This forum and all it's posters have been so helpful to id butterflies for me. The butterflies on the mums started all my interest and I had no idea what any of them were. I started posting asking for id's. Everyone was so helpful. Now I'm trying to build up my host plants as well as my nectar plants.

Lisa

o

Gorgeous pictures everyone! I definitely need to add fall mums to my garden! Lisa, do you know what variety your mums are? Also, like you, I am now focusing more on host plants for the rest of this season. My asclepias tuberosa in just starting to open its blooms, and I decided yesterday to add a bunch more. I started my current one from seed two years ago. It tripled in size since last year. Still, one plant is a drop in the bucket for what monarch need in order to hang around my yard. Today I am starting a bunch from seed and will transplant them out later this year. That worked out very well the last time.

Thanks for the pictures everyone. I can't wait to see more. I'm learning a lot of new butterfly names. Plus, I love seeing your different plant combinations and how they look together.

Kim

o

I love seeing everyon'e garden!

For fall nectaring, nothing beats New England Asters (Aster novae-angliae) and all of the different native asters in my area, as well as New York Ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis). Goldrenrods (Solidago) are a huge draw too.

Here are some monarchs diving toward the ironweed:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is an area where we stopped mowing, and it is filled with native asters and goldenrods. One of the best things we have done is to simply allow some areas of our yard return to its native state. In front of this area, we have now stopped mowing another section, and it is filled with violets, which is probably why we get so m any fritillaries here.

Photobucket

You can see a few monarchs in the pic below:
Photobucket

A stand of bee balm (monarda; New England Asters are right next to it--works out well; when the Monarda is done, the asters kick in and give beautiful color and nectar:
Photobucket

I don't have all natives; here is a new lasagne garden, and I put in verbena bonariensis; it took the butterflies a while to figure it out:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Driveway garden:
Photobucket

Another driveway bed:
Photobucket

Gaillardia here--it's one of my favorites. Blooms from June to Oct.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nothing showy here, but it's our wet "meadow," and it is one of the best places to find butterflies!
Photobucket

Lawn weeds are good too--our lawn is also in my eyes a garden too.
Photobucket

Ladobe, I love your garden!

o

Bernergrrl, lots of great pictures and spaces. Looks like a real lep mecca.

Interesting you ended with a pic of the AC (on your lawn no less). Here in the west you mostly have to get up in the arctic/alpine habitat above tree line for that species (9500' plus, so it is one you go to places like the BTP for). Only thing wrong with "my" garden is that at 11-14,000' feet summer there is only about a month long, bright sunshine is usually measured in minutes per day between squalls and you can still get snowed on every day even then. Even so trillions of wild flowers and millions of butterflies on the wing at the same time does have its appeal. LOL

o

Photos of butterfly are awesome. Its great to see more butterfly in the picture.

o

Beautiful pictures, everybody!
I'm really impressed with the natural areas you've left for violets and such, Bernergrrl, and I'm quite sure the frits are grateful! That little American copper is gorgeous - we don't get them here.
Sherry

o

Thanks MissSherry and Larry. I forgot that there is a little hummer perched in the gaillardia. He's so cute in there.

o

Bernergrrl. I love the way you photographed the monarch in mid-air.
Very impressive..You have an area you do not mow. I also do, but out
of laziness. I had a in-ground pool filled in. All kinds of weed popped
up, even a tomato plant. Some of the weeds have pretty flowers. I've
been noticing bumblebees on the white clover. Maybe I will turn it into
a wildflower garden.

o

I'm amazed at the photo of the Eyed Brown (yes?) on the Verbena. Most satyrs are not famous nectarers.

Larry, it's interesting that the American Copper is a high-altitude butterfly in the west. Out east (altitude 700 ft) we find them in fields and such.

Jeff

o

Jeff,
They are yet another example of why common names and field guides that don't get past species level are misleading. IOW, while cousins they are not the same bug and they probably have different ancestry. Your eastern US race is a lowland dweller and their moniker is L. phlaeas americana. We don't have them or any other lowland races out west, but we do have 3 or 4 arctic subspecies. All of ours are above tree line arctic dwellers, which except for in AK means very high elevation. Even so those in AK also are found in high mountains. I suggested the different ancestry because this species is Holarctic, with both lowland and arctic races scattered all through it.

Larry

o

Another one of my favorite "rock gardens" (the bowl). This one has several emdemic lep species using it that occur in these mountains and no place else on earth (and several other rare endemic insects, animals and plants as well). Maybe you can't tell from the picture, but its a good 2 hours of steady climbing to the upper bowl IF you are in top physical condition. The lighter green area below the slide is snow melt fed springs that cascade down the rock garden all summer. So cold they will turn you blue instantly even in mid summer, but the water is sweet and a very refreshing drink after a long climb. I'm well known as one who takes "dips" in such places (well, until 5-6 years ago anyway). It only hurts until you are completely numb (about 10 seconds), but its so refreshing. Anyway, beautiful place with lots of kewl butterflies. I never got to finish my lep projects in that bowl. :(

o

My garden in tiny compared to all yours however I pack it full with what ever plant I can get my hands on.

I'm very proud of my Waystation plaque.
Photobucket

Tiger

Photobucket

Photobucket

Can you see the bumble bee *lol*
Photobucket

Tiniest little bee I have ever seen
Photobucket

Biggest bee I have ever seen. A mutant carpenter bee - almost a large as a quarter.
Photobucket

Another bee. I wish I had as many butterflies as I do species of bee's.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Front Yard

o

Todancewithwolves,

Great pictures! You have a beautiful garden. Even though you might now have acres to work with (like me...I have less than 1/4 of an acre) you sure do a lot with what you have. It looks like a great place for butterflies to visit.

Kim

o

Larry, your picture is missing :-( I was going to ask you of you wouldn't mind me doing a painting of it? I paint impressionist style and your picture would be fitting for such a project. I would send it to you after if you would like.

I've added a like below to some of my other paintings. I'm not very good but I love doing it.

Edna

Here is a link that might be useful: Paintings

o

Must have been my home computer, Larry. I can see it fine on my work computer.

Would you mind me using it for a painting? It's the picture with the river.

Edna

o

That's a beautiful place, Larry!
And I just love your garden, Edna! I love the way you've packed those plants in there - it looks like a true cottage garden.
Sherry

o

Edna,

Just sent you an email after checking out your link. What a fun tour.

Really liked the before and after... you've done great with the garden girl.

Great paintings too. Who says you're not very good. I used to be an oil painter of mostly landscapes but haven't done it for years. Did 99% of my paintings with only pallet knives.

Also really enjoyed seeing you hav e some Saikei as it brought back some great memories. When I lived in Carmel I did miniature container Sakei; Bonsai; Penjing Shansui; Zen, Troll, and Fairy gardens, did what I called Neptune (undersea) minerature gardens as well due to my marine biology work and SCUBA diving there, and had a huge cacti/succulent collection from around the world (about 400 different specimens). A very large cobblestone patio behind our cottage and an almost as large redwood deck on one side housed most of them, but I also had a green house.

I also picked up on the "IR". Spent 35 years with a McGinnis. LOL

No problem using any of my pictures. That one is not mine though. However it is in public domain so no problem. I took several of about the same picture from the same angle at the same place, but they are slides or prints no longer in my possession.

Anyway, have lots of pictures like your paintings you are welcome to any time.

Larry

o

Edna,
I just took a look at your paintings. Not very good? You need to look again. They're gorgeous. You should be very proud! I'd love to learn to paint like that.
Kim

o

Well, here's my garden. The constraints are that the butterflies AND my wife have to love it. :) Fortunately, she's gotten the butterfly bug.

The central bed: peonies, daffodils, hyacinth, bleeding heart for the wife; coreopsis, geraniums, monarda, asiatic lilies for the butterflies.

Photobucket

The fence bed: swamp milkweed, red clover, wild indigo, common plantain on one side; asiatic lilies on the other; black mustard underneath the slats; pipevine on one corner post and hops on the other.

Photobucket

The butterfly bed: zinnias, cosmos, marigolds, lantana, buddleia, Echinacea, wild bergamot, (recently planted) Eupatorium for nectar; dill, fennel, parsley, Asclepias sp., lupines, Rudbeckia, violets for hostplants.

Photobucket

The driveway beds: coreopsis, plumbago, daisies, asters, dogbane, lots of plants for my wife.
Photobucket

Trees can be host plants, too. The dogwood regularly has a Summer Azure somewhere on it (never seen the cat, always see the adult).
Photobucket

Rod Angeroth supplied me with lots of A. serpentaria for pipevine swallowtails. They live under the trees.
Photobucket

Still in the pipeline: need somewhere to stash some "weeds" -- lamb's quarter, pigweed, sheep sorrel. And I want to plant some false nettle also.

Jeff

o

I'll be taking out a little more grass and putting in a small area planted solely for butterflies. These pictures are so inspiring.

Please share pictures of your favorite butterfly plants, plant combinations, or entire sections of your gardens. Something to pass time on a cold, winter day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here