Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Flutterby Petite Blue Heaven

For my smaller residential garden I planted a month or so ago single 'Flutterby Petite Blue Heaven' butterfly bush. Has any of you had any experience with this particular cultivar (developed by Ball Ornamentals)?

Comments (17)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I've never heard of it. They keep coming out with SO many new cultivars!

Sherry

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a link with a it more info. (They sure did choose a clever name for their plant).

Here is a link that might be useful: Flutterby

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Hmmmm.....it said in the link that it's one of their plants in the 'non-invasive' series. I wonder if that means it's sterile? If it is, it would be a good one for the PNW, where butterfly bush is reported to be invasive. I've never seen a volunteer seedling myself, but for those affected, it can be a pest for sure!

Sherry

• Tony G
    11 years ago

congratulations on your butterfly bush! I am in Minneapolis and because of our warm spring my miniature BB (mine is called 'Buzz Budleja')is just about to start blooming.

Not all varieties of BB bloom at the same time. My largest one (not sure what it is) doesn't bloom until late in the season, though I'm sure it will start earlier this year.

All 5 of mine came back from last year and they look great...but if we have a cold winter I could just as easily go 0 for 5. For now, I'm enjoying this incredible start to the garden year. I hope you are too! Tony

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update coolbutterfly.

So it isnt unusual for you to 'lose' you BB depending on your winter or early spring weather? And you just keep replanting?

It is the 'iffyness' of BB in zone 5 that I find frustrating.

(Btw, I love that name ie 'Buzz Budleja')

• Tony G
    11 years ago

I have one that has come back 2 years in a row and the rest are in year 2.

I mulched them all heavily with leaves last fall. I'm not sure how much that helps but I can't argue with my results so far.

also, in colder zone you're not supposed to cut the wood back until spring. good luck with your flutterby! Tony

Original Author
    11 years ago

misssherry wrote: Hmmmm.....it said in the link that it's one of their plants in the 'non-invasive' series. I wonder if that means it's sterile? If it is, it would be a good one for the PNW, where butterfly bush is reported to be invasive.

This plant is 'sterile'. This feature is mentioned in this promo video for this BB. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: no reseeding

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I'm still waiting for feedback on which ones from that series or other sterile butterfly bushes attract butterflies the best.

Monrovia's site says that 'Miss Molly' and Miss Ruby' are sterile also.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of my "Blue Heaven Flutterby" bush as of today. It went in the ground in early June and it has thrived. It is now 3' by 3' (and I hope that is its max.) and started blooming quite early...around mid June, of course continuing now into September. I do see butterflies at it but it is my opinion that dwarf BB are not as attractive to butterflies as are the full size plants. And the blooms on full size are longer to the point of having to droop/bend than what I see on the "minis". (But a full size wasnt possible given my limited space).

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful little bush, but, like you, from my experiences and what I've read about them from others, the dwarf butterfly bushes don't attract butterflies like the big ones.

Christie, I didn't know that Miss Molly and Miss Ruby were sterile. That makes one of them a likely candidate to be my next butterfly bush! I planted White Profusion, but it got taken over by the lantana next to it, and even though I cut the lantana back, it's not looking like it will recover.

Sherry

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I did some more looking and I think Miss Molly and Miss Ruby are "nearly sterile" so they're able to say non-invasive. But Monrovia's site says sterile. I'd love to know for sure.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I just bought both the Flutterby Blue Heaven & Tutti Fruiti...they were 3 gallon plants regularly priced at $34.99 for 75% off!!! I actually went back & bought a Tutti Fruiti & a pretty pot to give my MIL for her birthday this next week! The Tutti Fruiti is SOOOOO aromatic! It smells like Juicy Fruit gum..."TUTTI FRUITI" fits perfectly!
    I had tried 3 X to grow 'Lo & Behold Bluechip' & they kept dying! I hope these do better for me!
    Here are the pictures I took!
    Blue Heaven
    {{gwi:492443}}
    Tutti Fruiti
    {{gwi:492446}}
    I am thinking I will keep one of the blues in a pot & I already planted the first one I purchased!
    I have collected a lot of cultivars & hope these do well! They are supposed to only get 3ft tall & 3 ft wide!
    Good Luck,
    Lila

Original Author
    11 years ago

Those look to be very large specimens!

I see you are in zone 7 so my caveat may not apply to you but I would bet that any BB planted now in zone 5 would be hard pressed to survive the winter. This season I made sure to plant my new "Flutterby" ASAP in the season and as I recall I got it in the ground in very early June. It has thrived since that time and so I am hopeful it has a well-established root system.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

In our area...fall is a great time to plant shrubs & trees. Early spring is the only other time that is recommended because of our long hot summers in North Texas. We have 2-3 months for them to get established & it usually doesn't get really cold until January/February.
    I think the 'Tutti Fruiti' is more fragrant than the 'Blue Heaven'! Hope they attract some BFs...that's the main reason I have them!!!

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Lila, did your flutterby attract any butterflies? I had two this year and didn't see ANY butterflies on them.

They all preferred the buzz buddleja.

I am thinking of replacing them with another buzz color and miss molly.

Please chime in if you've tried the flutterby (or inSpired) cultivars...would like to know if they actually attract butterflies? Tony

• Tony G
    10 years ago

BUMP

if anyone has experience growing flutterby petite blueberry cobbler....does it attract butterflies?

My guess is no, but would really like to hear from someone who knows first hand, Thanks! Tony

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County