Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One of My Favorite Little Butterflies

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 19:43

On another thread, we discussed the difficulty of finding pearl crescent caterpillars. I've planted new asters in hopes of finding one (or more) one day.
This little beauty was nectaring on some tropical milkweed today -

photo PearlyCrescentspot-1_zps9dbf712b.jpg

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One of My Favorite Little Butterflies

I have seen evidence of larval activity on my Aster oblongifolius, but have never found the caterpillars. Maybe they feed at night, maybe predators find them, or maybe they are something other than Pearl Crescents. Who knows. I see them similar Checkerspots and Crescents around the yard, but for the life of me I can't distinguish them from each other. I do know that the Aster I grow is a reported host for them.

Lovely photo, MissSherry!

Susan

o

Very nice picture, Sherry. Is there a particular Aster that attracts these butterflies? Do they use the normal flowers for nectar? Any pictures of them?

o

I've found them on Echinacea purpurea more often than any other flower, but, as you can see in the picture, Tom, they like milkweed, too.

I don't know of a particular aster they prefer, never having found a caterpillar - it's on my 'bucket list' of cats to find. They must be somewhere, because I see the adults every year. I HAVE raised common checkered skippers when I was lucky enough to find some tiny cats embedded in the top, newest leaves of fan petals/Sida. Pearl crescents are about the same size as they are, so I know they'd be very tiny.

I just keep checking asters for signs of being chewed.

My favorite field guide shows the females with a lot of markings on their undersides, and the males nearly pure yellow, so this pearl crescent from a year or two ago was a female -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wish I had gotten a picture of the undersides of the one on the milkweed, so I'd have a better idea if it was a male or female.

Sherry

o

Beautiful shots of a SWEET looking little butterfly Sherry. I see the adults occasionally here in my yard. Now, I will start trying to be sure to get those underside shots too. Good luck with them. I hope you get cats!
Angie

o

Very nice! I think the best way of finding them is to watch the female lay eggs. Supposedly it is easy to spot. I know that I can tell when a female butterfly is laying by her behavior. So, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the plants. My NE aster is about ten inches long and in a small pot. So, I don't think I will be attracting any this year. So, those of you with NE aster in your yards, start watching for a pearl crescent that is hopping around your plant. After it is done, then examine the leaves for eggs. If she has left you some, you will be up to your eyeballs in caterpillars if the literature is correct!

Elisabeth

o

I thought that it was Silvery Checkerspots that used the coneflowers, and that PCs only use Asters?????

Susan

o

I meant as nectar plants, Susan. You're right, silvery checkerspots are the ones who lay their eggs on coneflowers, and pearl crescents lay theirs on asters.

Sherry

o

Oops, I didn't catch the nectoring part....

My.apologies, don't know what I was thinking! Of course you'd know that, MissSherry. I must be zoned out.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here