Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Finally!!!

butterflymomok
13 years ago

I have waited 6 years to see this butterfly in my backyard, and today was the day! A Zebra Swallowtail was caught nectaring on the buddleias. It wasn't staying put, and my new camera battery is dead--so I did the best I could at catching an image.

This butterfly is being seen more and more often in the suburbs and city of Tulsa. Seems to be expanding its range. I got to share the experience with two new butterfly gardeners--think it will spur them on!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Swallowtail - Eurytides marcellus

Comments (11)

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Sandy, oh my! Congratulations! Is it nectaring on your bi-color? Could you tell if it was a male or female?

Wow what a beauty!

Susan

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan,

In this picture it was nectaring on a new buddleia that came up between my Dark Knight and White Profusion. It's very lavender. It worked its way around the buddleias visiting almost everyone of them. And it also visited the liatris and coneflower. It was flitting from one flower to another like a kid in a candy store!

I don't know the sex. But I've got lots of Pawpaw trees setting around waiting to be sold. I read they like the young tender plants. Plus, I've got my 5 footer out on the other side of the yard. Hopefully, it will come back and maybe some friends will show up also.

Thanks, Susan!

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Beautiful!
    I still have never seen one. I planted two pawpaw seedlings last fall. Only one made it through the winter and now it's gone. I have two more seedlings to plant this fall. I hope they do better.

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Sandy!
    They're rare around here too - when I see one, I nearly pass out!
    Sherry

• jrcagle
    13 years ago

Cool! My wife's favorite.

• annainok
    13 years ago

Yay! You must be so pleased! Patience is a virtue that has its own rewards.

Anna

• bernergrrl
    13 years ago

Very exciting, Sandy! Happy for you!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Sandy, have the Gulf Frits made it up your way yet? I saw my first today. But, there is no food for it alas. I just planted my P. incarnata in the yard. It really started to take off just last week, but it's not too big yet. It started to send out the tendrils, so I thought I best get it planted. My other passi is gone, I guess. No sign of it or the Lantana.

Anyway, just wanted you to be on the lookout for the GFs in case you hadn't seen any yet.

Susan

• Mary Leek
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Sandy! It is so exciting to see a 'new' butterfly, isn't it. Makes all the planting and work sooooo worthwhile.

Hope it comes back and you're able to get a photo.

Mary

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan,

No Gulf Fritillaries yet. I don't usually see them until later in the summer. It kind of depends on the winds blowing them up here. So far, seem to be getting butterflies from the east.

I collected over 40 Monarch eggs today. Haven't checked all the plants, but will try to get to the others later. Guess I'm back in the Monarch raisin' bizness!

Sandy

Sponsored