Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guess What I Found Today (Picture)

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 20:51

Hi everyone,

I was out on a walk again today and decided to look over some of that wild common milkweed and look at who I found!

Photobucket

This really made my day! When I first spotted it, it was happily eating away at one of the buds. By the time I took this picture (had to come back home to get the camera), he had moved to the leaf. I think s/he's going to sleep for the night. Looked at some of the other milkweed plants growing nearby and didn't see one caterpillar. I think I saw frass though lol. Anyways, I just wanted to share my happy day with you all! Enjoy! Sorry for the blurriness.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guess What I Found Today (Picture)

Congrats, Brad, on your cute little monarch!

Sherry

o

Yes, Brad, congrats on your Monarch! Happy, happy day!

o

Thank you, guys!

When I go on my walk later, I'll see how much it's eaten lol. I'll try to get a better picture too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad,

I'm jealous! Still no monarchs, eggs or cats here.

Congrats to you! I would be excited too!

Betty

o

good for you, how fun!

o

Thank you again!

I am very happy to say when I saw the cat yesterday, it looked like it had grown! It seems it likes to eat the flower buds. There's a few bites that it took out of a leaf but no more. Mind you, this is all on the plant I found it on. I *think* I saw an egg too but I'm not sure. It looked like a Monarch egg though from what I remember reading.

I wish I could bring it home with me but I'm sure it's happy where it is. It's just as well since my WS common milkweed is on the small side. My WS swamp milkweed is growing taller however. WS tropical milkweed and butterfly weed are perhaps the strongest of the bunch. Not blooming yet but are they ever growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hey Brad, sounds like you are well on your way to growing a great habitat for the monarchs.

If everything is newly planted this summer, your plants should take off next year! (butterfly weed takes 2 years though)

If you want larger/blooming tropical all summer, pot a couple plants over winter and take cuttings.

If I would have realized how much faster the cuttings grow, I would have planted more! Good luck with your patch, Tony

o

Thank you Tony!

They're doing good this year and they were planted some time ago. Butterfly weed is in a pot with WS rattlesnake master. I got it at one of the dollar stores and it looks like an old fashioned bushel. From what I read, they should do well together (I think they would look nice together too).

I just might have to take cuttings from the tropical milkweed! Gives me another houseplant to take care of :-). I already grow some of their tropical relatives, the hoyas, as houseplants so they'll be right at home!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here