Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pupating caterpillar fell

Posted by veronica123 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 21:04

Hi I have a caterpillar that fell and is trying to shed its skin to become a crysalys. It has split open and still has the caterpillar skin on for 3hours now. Is there anything to do to help it or is it too late? I think it is a black swallowtail. The 6caterpillars certainly ate a lot of dill.

This is my first exposure to any of this...
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pupating caterpillar fell

I have helped caterpillars shed their skin but the longer you wait, the tougher it gets because things are drying off. I'd say give it a shot because things cannot get worse.

KC

o

Really hope you can help that poor thing! But it was 3 hours (around how long it takes for Monarch chrysalises to harden, some times 2 hours). :-(

This post was edited by Protego on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:31

o

Even if a black swallowtail falls, they still should be able to finish their pupation. I've seen blacks, zebra, and Pipevine swallowtails pupate after they fell from their girdle and while laying down.

If it does not complete its pupation something else must be wrong. Don't beat yourself up. It happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Swallowtail Life Cycle -- Click here for info and photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here