Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandpapertongue

Just starting out -- need advice on how to plant milkweed

Sandpaper Tongue
10 years ago

I was inspired to plant some milkweed when I did a butterfly raising project with my preschooler earlier this spring. So it was a bit of a whim that I bought a few packs of milkweed seeds, and now they have sprouted and are ready to be transplanted. My issue is I didn't really think it through and I don't have any other plants to go in my future butterfly garden.

I have about 10 tuberosa seedings and 10 incarnata seedlings. They are tiny but are on their 2nd and 3rd set of true leaves. The containers are very small (egg cartons) so there isn't much room to grow so I can't wait much longer.

The patch I'm going to move them is from a that was cut down. It's very sunny, but it also where the gutter runoff comes out. It's about a 4x4ft area.

Should I plant the milkweed evenly through this area? Just along one side and hopefully I can room to plant some flowering perennials & annuals next year? How far apart should the seedlings be planted?

I realize milkweed is a weed, so I'm probably over thinking it, but any help would be appreciated! I have no eye for these things.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths