Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Yikes! difference between gst and tst cats

weed30 St. Louis
9 years ago

So I thought I had a bunch of Giant swallowtail cats on my wafer ash, but at least one is a Tiger swallowtail! They look so much alike when they hatch...but as they have grown, one now has the smooth green skin/fake eyespots look instead of the bird poop look.

I moved a lot of the first ones I had to my rue because I thought they were GSTs...luckily I had wafer ash leaves in the cage too, so they survived.

So my question is if there is a way to tell the difference when they are tiny hatchlings. They look alike to me, and I moved the latest batch of hatchlings onto the rue yesterday. Now that I noticed the obvious Tiger from the first round, I've added ash leaves for the newest babies so they can eat those if they are indeed Tigers.

You may wonder why I move them from the wafer ash leaves to the rue. It's because I have a lot more rue and it's easier to put it in little vases or water tubes. I'll stop moving them, but would really like to know if there is something I can look for to know the difference early on.

(Another reason I thought they were GSTs was because the eggs were orange, but in retrospect they might have just been Tiger eggs that were darkened and ready to hatch.)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH