Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who am I

Posted by jrcagle z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 21:17

Hi friends,

I found these on Spicebush Lindera recently. They're clearly not Spicebush Swallowtails.

Any ideas? I'd like to have a pupation plan in case they are moths...

Thanks,
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who am I

At first glance, they look like grape leaf skeletonizers, but they aren't eating the right plant.

Promethea moths eat spicebush. Here's a picture I made of an early instar promethea cat -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You think maybe they're promethea moth cats?

Sherry

o

Bingo! Thanks!

Now ... I have to learn how to get them to adulthood.

Jeff

PS: How are you?

o

Try reading through this for instructions on rearing moths.

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO REAR SATURNIID MOTHS (giant silk moths)

o

I'm doing fine, Jeff - it's good to see you posting and finding caterpillars again!

I just raise my moths the same way I do butterflies. I put the host plant food in holes in leftovers containers with water and replace the food and clean the cage as needed. Since promethea moth cocoons hang on a peduncle (I think that's what it's called) you might want to keep extra sticks in the cage in case they prefer to make the cocoon in the natural style.

Good luck!

Sherry

P.S.

Spicebush swallowtails eat spicebush and sassafras leaves interchangeably, like they don't know the difference. I assume prometheas will probably do the same, so if you run out of spicebush leaves, I'm sure you can feed them sassafras.

This post was edited by misssherry on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 10:30

o
Followup

Happy Cats! I took in 10. One perished. One is behind the others in instar. The rest look like this.

o

So cool! Hope I can get as lucky here. Thanks for posting new pics!

o

They look very healthy!

Sherry

o

Holy cannoli Jeff! If I found those guys on my Spicebush, the whole neighborhood would also be aware due to my screams of joy!!!! Wow, what a wonderful find. Lucky you. Congrats and good luck with them. Keep us posted. I already checked both of my Spicebushes this morning, and now you have me itching to check again already!~~Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here