Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Giants

wifey2mikey
10 years ago

I'm raising 9 Giants and 3 of them formed their chrysalis today! :-) Last year was my first year to have any host plant for them and I only had one cat the entire summer. This year, my Rue has gotten HUGE - 3 1/2 tall by about 5 feet wide and I keep finding babies on it. I haven't spotted an egg or a female laying eggs. My daughter has developed a keen eye for spotting the hatchlings. :-)

I'm hopeful that there will many more.

~Laura

Comments (11)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

That's a big rue plant! You have it in the right place as they can be very temperamental. I have learned that gophers like them, too. Congrats on finding so many of the Giant Caterpillars.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Congrats, Laura! Kennard keeps getting larvae on her Rue plants, too!

Susan

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Woo hoo, love these little guys and kudo's to you for growing a healthy and welcoming host plant for them. If it outgrows it's spot, Rue can easily be trimmed (takes to it like a duck to water) so if your Rue ever reaches a point you feel the need to trim it, don't be hesitant to do so. Of course, being so fortunate to attract the mama Giant Swallowtail Butterflies, I'd say this plant is just about perfect, as is! :-)

Mary

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

My rue is obviously not happy where it is. It's about 2 inches tall. Of course, it was a stowaway on an A. Incarnata transplant, so the spot wasn't chosen for the rue. I think I'll move it into more sun. I've been trying to get Giants in my yard for years, but I'm not even sure they are found much around here. I do have tons of Red Admirals that I didn't even try to attract. There must be something they like in the woods behind my property.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the photos.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Martha, climate here is obviously different from where you are. I have mine where it is only getting morning sun. I also have it planted in a bed where a compost pile used to be years ago.

~Laura

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Ah, thanks Laura for the info. Now to just find the right place . . .

Sandy

• Tony G
    10 years ago

Laura, congrats on those giants! I have rue planted in Minnesota...3 plants and they are all about 3 feet tall, but not as wide as yours(unless you combine them). We've also had a cool spring so I imagine they'd be bigger in seasonal weather.

Ours also get lots of morning sun and seem very happy in their spot.

Although I've seen giants in our garden the past two summers, no eggs/cats yet. We did get black swallowtails, but they were eaten by wasps :( Tony

• Tom
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the cats. If you are getting them now, the chances seem good that you will get them the rest of the summer.

I have not been successful with rue. Not sure if it's the humid, hot Florida weather or just poor gardening. I do have lots of Hercules Club trees (one big one and many small ones growing in different places).

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Six of the 9 are now chrysalides. :-) Three more to go.

~Laura

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two of the Nine made their debut this morning! So beautiful!!!

I haven't released them yet - the wings on one are still a bit droopy/wet so I'll wait a bit longer. I'm going to try to take pictures and of course, will post them here!

`Laura

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Nine Giants! Wow. Can't wait to see your photo.

-Sandy