Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nebu_gw

Caesalpinia Pulcherrima, I call Red Bird of Paradise

nebu
14 years ago

Is one of the best nectar sources that I know of. I took seed specimens from El Paso, and Phoenix. I liked the way this readily available flower looked, so I took it back home and found out it grew faster and bigger in Florida than in the southwest. Another surprise, was how beneficial it was to my surrounding wildlife.

{{gwi:495256}}

{{gwi:495258}}

{{gwi:495260}}

{{gwi:495262}}

{{gwi:495266}}

{{gwi:495269}}

{{gwi:495271}}

{{gwi:495274}}

{{gwi:495277}}

{{gwi:495280}}

Of the topic, I also see that Hummingbirds can't resist the nectar.

{{gwi:495282}}

{{gwi:495285}}

The first two photos are Phoenix variety. The rest with butterflies and hummingbirds are El Paso variety.

I urge all of you to order some of these easy to grow seeds.

-Nick

Comments (27)

• pepperysunshine4

I want one of these plants, I love the colors, and the fact that they can be grown in small places. I want to get the phoenix variety does any one where i can purchase one at?

• pepperysunshine4

I want one of these plants, I love the colors, and the fact that they can be grown in small places. I want to get the phoenix variety does any one where i can purchase one at?

• pepperysunshine4

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

What a stunning plant, Nick!
    It's good to see that both butterflies and hummers use the flowers. I've got a small plant in my garden that's just now growing really good. Somebody that lives in Costa Rica said that it needs a lot of heat, and it's just now gotten hot here, so maybe that's the reason. I think the flowers are incomparable, so I hope mine makes it over the winter - I hope to get seeds in case it doesn't.
    Those pictures are beautiful!
    Sherry

• butterflymomok
    14 years ago

I grow this plant from seed as it does not overwinter here. But it's easy to grow from seed. It is such a beauty. I grow mine in a pot on the patio. The bfs and hummers love it.

It grows in Asia also. The Birdwings love it. It is just stunning in full bloom.

• nebu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ever notice you never see this plant for sale at stores? It's got low water consumption and displays massive color.

It does overwinter in the deepsouth, it'll drop it's leaves. I give it a good trim, then it bursts forth with new spring growth.

I have some pink bird of paradise plants growing also, it's smaller and probably less hardy.

• zebra_lover
    14 years ago

Wow! Stunning plant. I just planted one and may have to get another. Thanks for the pics.

• winnieh
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I would love to try and grow some in my garden! Does anyone know where I can get the seeds? I am in Northern California. Thanks!

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Beautiful, stunning photos! I have been lusting after this, but thought it was perennial in zone 7?? I know Steve Bustani sells it (Bustani Farms in Oklahoma, who also does mail order). It is native to Oklahoma, which is neither here nor there as far as hardiness, as it cud self sow I guess. I could have sworn it was touted as perennial in Oklahoma, though. Gonna have to get one now for sure!

Susan

• roper2008
    14 years ago

Nick. Does your plant produce seeds? If so, are you willing to
    trade for it?

Linda

• bernergrrl
    14 years ago

Incredible plant and pictures, love the hummer one!

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Almost Eden sells them, and I believe MissSherry has ordered from them. They have a high rating at Garden Watchdog, too.

I am growing Caelsalpinia gillesii from seed, and it is hardy to zone 7. Not as vividly colored as pulcherrima, but still a beauty in its own right.

Love, love, love this plant!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Caelsalpinia pulcherrima

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

My C. pulcherrima never bloomed last year, never even grew very much. Of course the top died back during the cold winter we had, and I assumed it wouldn't come back, since it got down to around 18 degrees one night during the coldest cold spell. I knocked over the dead tops earlier this spring and planted a salvia just to the right of where the C. pulcherrima grew. Well, it popped up again several weeks ago! It's only about 3" tall now, so I've put a little fertilizer around it, hoping to get it to grow.
    I can't believe a tropical survived those temps!
    Several of my tender plants that I thought I had lost came back - Passifloras 'Incense' and 'Lavendar Lady' and the big tropical cuphea from Almost Eden have returned, also Salvia blepharophylla, which I thought was tender. Only the pentas and porterweeds bit the dust for good.
    Sherry

• megan_anne
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics! Sorry I'm late to the party, guys/gals.

Those trees were growing all over San Antonio and in full bloom on my last springtime trip there in '07. I had no idea of what they were, other than "just gorgeous". My boss just gave me a few seeds, called it "Red Bird of Paradise". Once she was able to give me the genus, I began researching on how to grow these seeds. Apparently her mom (who lives just north of us) is growing a tree, and she got volunteers a year or so ago. My boss ("Dr. W") snatched up a volunteer and planted it in her yard-- and HERS bloomed and made pods, and voila'-- now she passed some on to us. Since my co-worker isn't blessed with a green thumb, on her own admission, she gave me her portion as well so I have 7 seeds. Heh... between the ginger, the papaya, the hostas, NG imps and passionflowers and now the BOP... plus all the BF's... my backyard will be a real "tropical" getaway. Moreso with all this rain we've been having lately compliments of Alex, bleh...

Any tips on starting the seeds? Once I get things started, I usually have little trouble keeping them going. Should I scarify and soak the seed, or just direct-plant in pots? Any particular type of soil that I should use? Any growing info would be helpful.

Nice to see the BF's and hummers enjoying it so much. :)

• terroir
    13 years ago

when i started my seeds, i scarified them and put on moist paper towel inside a ziplock bag. i had 100% germination. good luck megan. beautiful photos nebu!!

• runmede
    13 years ago

Wow!! Incredible.

Wish it were warmer here, but it has been warmer here. 90s to 100s. Now, I wish it were cooler. Zone 7A

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

That is a gorgeous plant!
    kay

• runmede
    13 years ago

A friend of mine went to Butterfly World in Florida and brought me some seeds. I totally forgot about them until I read this thread. Dang, now I wish I had planted them.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Caesalpinia gilliesii or Yellow Bird of Paradise, is native to Oklahoma, and root hardy to zone 7. Sandy, who frequents the forum, grows the C. pulcherrima from seed every year, but I don't know if she gets any volunteer seedlings from it or not.

I grew it from seed this year, but it is still very small.

Yellow Bird of Paradise is very pretty, too. It is a legume, in the Fabaceae family, and is apparently very drought hardy as well, once established. Supposedly, hummingbirds and butterflies love this native shrub. Heck, I love it, too.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Bird of Paradise

• runmede
    13 years ago

I looked up Butterfly World and found they have an online gift shop now and offer seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly World Seeds

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Cool! I wish they would give you the number of seeds in a packet. But, lots of passi's and pipevines.

Susan

• runmede
    13 years ago

I only got 5 seeds in the packet that my friend brought me. There is an email address for the gift shop on their website.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a dollar a seed! Kinda of expensive, huh?

Susan

• runmede
    13 years ago

It's Florida and Butterfy World. Yes, I think they are expensive. Probably find them at a more reasonable price some place else.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

How about free? My Caesalpinia Pulcherrima 'Pride of Barbados' has lots of green seed pods right now. Contact me through my page and I'll be happy to mail seeds when they dry.

The tree is root hardy here in San Antonio, even through our unusually cold winter of '09. It is slow to emerge in the spring, but recovers very quickly when it does. In a mild winter it doesn't freeze back, but looks better if cut all the way back in the spring.

BTW, it doesn't bloom until it's second year.

• runmede
    13 years ago

My Red Bird of Paradise are coming up. It didn't take long. I nicked the seeds and soaked them in warm tap water over night. They already have secondary leaves. I only germinated two seeds. I'm saving the others for spring. I'm planning to plant theses later and see if they survive the winter. I'll try to find a sheltered place for them since I'm in 7A. Wishing it was warmer, I am warmer this summer, but our winter was hellish last year.

• felixcat
    10 years ago

Simply stunning pictures!
    I'm just waiting for a delivery of 15 mixed coloured seeds and hope to sow them soon.
    Here in the U.K. I will have to maybe bonsai any that germinate.
    Thanks for the pictures.

Sponsored