Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

I found a great potential Monarch spot.

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I moved into a new house about 18 months ago, and I've been driving by an undeveloped lot at the edge of a small neighborhood every time I leave or return home. Last summer I glimpsed some A. Syriaca in this area, which is basically an unmowed, irregularly surfaced field with scrubby saplings, overgrown grass, and various volunteer wildflowers and weeds.

Today, I walked the 1/2 mile from my house to this field and walked through to get a close look at what is in there. There are hundreds of common milkweed!!! I'm so excited! I spent 30 minutes searching for eggs and cats, but didn't find a single one. But, there was lots of evidence of something munching on the leaves. The holes were all pretty small, consistent with earlier in star cats, if they are from cats at all. Are there other bugs that eat milkweed leaves? I haven't seen any Monarch Butterflies yet this season, but I think they must have been around.

Anyway, I plan to walk down there as often as I find time and see if I can't find eggs or cats throughout the summer. My goal is to raise and release as many Monarchs as is humanly possible. If anyone in west Michigan has eggs or cats they aren't able to raise themselves, I'd be happy to take your extras and raise them on the milkweed in this field. Happy butter-flying!

Martha

Comments (8)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

There is a Milkweed Beetle that eats the leaves, but they generally start at the edge and eat older leaves. Early cats will first sever several veins and then eat in the shape of a C on younger foliage. Older cats will sever the midrib and feed on the end. #5s will sever half the petiole or stem and feed on the dangling leaf, or on the growing tip. In all cases, the cat will cut off the flow of sap, making the MW a little less toxic.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

There are 3 beetles that eat milkweed that I know of, here in Madison. One is shaped like a ladybug, but larger, with orange/black color. The second is more long and narrow, all orange, with black antennae that look a bit like a Texas longhorn cow. The third is also black and orange, with a more geometric color scheme, and a faceted body shape.

• spaceman13
    10 years ago

They will generally be on the underside of the leaf, to stay out of the sun and predators. Use a small hand mirror to check the undersides without disturbing them. In my garden I have some wild milkweed (A syriaca) I dug up off the side of the road, and it gets 101 times the cats as all my other fancy store bought milkweeds combined.

Happy Hunting and good luck in raising cats!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Check also the flower buds for eggs and larvae.
    Spaceman, I believe the third insect you describe is a Milkweed Bug (not a beetle). They don't leave a chew pattern, but instead suck the sap thru a long, strawlike beak. They usually form family units toward the growing tips and flowers and overwinter as adults.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I hope to find as many eggs and cats as I can. The milkweed in my yard is coming back strong and has multiplied. I've also got a few milkweed seedlings from winter sowing, and a few volunteers in the soil that was transplanted with my other native plants. These, along with the field of Syriaca, should give me plenty of resources for raising a bunch of Monarchs.

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

That sounds great! Just a warning, however, in case...some vacant lots are mowed periodically or if they get too "weedy". Some towns or HOA's require such mowing. It may not happen, but just know this in case it does. I've seen it happen.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks for the warning. It doesn't look as if this spot has been mowed for at least several years, based on the size of the saplings. The part along the road probably does got trimmed, but the largest part doesn't look touched. This neighborhood isn't high class, and the road is pretty rural, without sidewalks or curbs. I doubt anyone is complaining about an unmown lot. I'll let you know if it gets cut down. Fortunately, I have quite a bit of milkweed growing in my garden. So, I'll have something to feed any cats I find.

Martha

• terrene
    10 years ago

That's great you have a "milkweed field" nearby, Martha. Hope you find lots of eggs there!

I've been scouting the wild A syriaca in for the past few years. My favorite milkweed field is about 1 mile away. I hike down there regularly to collect eggs and leaves during peak Monarch raising season. It's a lovely walk and a beautiful field and the Monarchs love it. I'm going to scout for eggs earlier this year.