o
butterfly bush from seed

Posted by pvel 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:56

How difficult is it to grow Buddleia from seed? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butterfly bush from seed

In many places, they are considered as an "invasive" species due to their prolific seed production and their easy germination. Most of the more spectacular varieties are hybrids and while they produce seeds, they will not usually be "true" to the parent plant...i.e., plants will be different colors and will have different growth characteristics. If you are just after butterfly bushes, they can be considered easy to grow.

Bob

Bob

o

I grew 3 white profusion from seed last year. 2 were white and the other was a more vigorous grower and purplish. (maybe it has cross bred?)

I also got 8 zinnia zahara plants at a sale. Only one turned out to be the "true" flower. The rest are either red or white.

Depending on the species of butterfly bush, cuttings may be a better option for you. Good luck, Tony

o

Any more information on this would be great - I have managed to start 3 buddleja plants from mixed seed (so I have no idea what species/cultivars they are) and whilst they're fairly vigorous they're not growing very fast.

Sown last August, indoors, they overwintered and then grew very quickly in spring but seem to have stalled since they were put outdoors. At the moment they are in large, well drained pots in the sunniest spot in the garden - any idea why their growth seems to have stalled at about 6 inches tall?

o

The ones I started from seed last summer grew very slowly. In August they started to take off and each produced one flower head in early fall. This year they are growing much faster and will be full of flowers. Give them some time...

o

Thanks, coolbutterfly - so long as I know that they're 'normal' for their age then I'm happy to let them be =)

o

Invasive is such a negaive term : ) I planted 4 and they plant volenteers all around my yard. I love it. I leave the ones in places I like & give the ohers to friends!
JD

o

well I got some broken branches from the home depot store they took right off, I've just about every color now LOVE THEM! not invasive here! whack them back a few inches from the ground if they get too tall. they're just like forsythias in our area

o

pvel, I give mine a regular dose of appropriate amount of 'Osmocote' plus fertilize weakly with blue Miracle Gro every two weeks. I bought mine as seedling plants in Feb. They are already about 3 ft. tall. Perhaps the fertilizer and Osmocote is doing this, Osmocote has extra trace minerals that MGro does not. Correct me guys if I'm wrong, I don't have the bottle sitting here to read ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here