Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

attn: elisabeth

bandjzmom
10 years ago

Hi Elisabeth,
When you wash the Pawpaw leaves with a mild bleach solution, what concentration of bleach do you use? Thanks.
Angie

Comments (8)

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I know I posted on this. Maybe I forgot to hit the last button. Grrr...Sorry, I have been in garage sale he%$.

Anyhow, there are earlier threads on using bleach, the pros, the cons, the arguments for and against. Everyone has to choose what they are comfortable with. The last time I checked and if memory serves me correctly, the World Health Organization's standard is 10% bleach for ten minutes. That is a bit too harsh for me. I just fill a bathtub with water and add about a 1/4 cup. I submerge my leaves and leave them for a while. Usually over ten minutes. Then I rinse them really well. I can do a lot of leaves this way and then store them in the refrigerator.

Hope that helps,
    Elisabeth

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes indeed, it does help. Thanks so much. I came across another lady who is raising some Zebra cats, and she was also curious about how much bleach to use. I just washed mine with plain water, but I used a lot of friction. Thank you so very much for all of this help. It has been invaluable. KC has suggested I do a thread devoted only to the raising of my Zebras, where everything would be compiled in one place, and I think that I will do that. It might be helpful to someone some day.
    Angie

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Great idea, Angie!

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Yes it would. Was this the first time your trees had caterpillars? It makes a difference in terms of disease.
    -Elisabeth

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I believe it was the first time anyway. I have looked them over for years and have never seen a thing. The oldest tree is 5 yrs old and the other 2 are about 3 yrs old. I got the thread done today, and maybe it will help someone or at least be interesting to someone. :o)
    Angie

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Okay, I asked because, chances are if it is you plants first set of butterflies then disease is less of a risk. As you set up a resident set of butterflies, there is more chance of disease. So, over the years it is more of an issue. We see this with monarchs over the season. Later in the season we see more disease over a patch of milkweed. I suspect this is the case with zebras. There may be a relationship with something like Nosema.

Disease can also pop up through flies. Flies are thought to bring viruses to plants. More specifically, fly poop. Sunlight kills a lot of viruses so that is more about timing. The problem is that if you do bring in a virus on food stuff, it is deadly and quick. So, people who raise a lot of butterflies are very careful about not bringing in a virus.

That is a very short version of a complicated issue. But I wanted to emphasize that disease is an important consideration when caring for caterpillars. Almost all of us who have been raising caterpillars for a while can attest to the fact that at some point you will deal with a disease. Hopefully it is not NPV (a deadly, deadly virus). However, giving some thought to disease is important.

Elisabeth

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Elisabeth. Gotcha. This is really good info. If I find cats again, I will definitely do the bleaching. I didn't do this time mostly because I wasn't sure how to. I was careful to follow all of your other directions to the letter, and I even changed out my napkins and food twice daily.
    Angie

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

That is awesome Angie! You did a really good job and I am pleased I could help. I am looking forward to seeing your butterflies.
    -Elisabeth

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting