Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflowerman_2000

Milkweed forum

Hi Folks,
I've written Gardenweb requesting that they add a special MILKWEED forum for those of us who are trying to establish milkweed gardens/plots to help with the declining Monarch populations. If you are so inclined please drop them a note supporting this idea and maybe we will have our own forum in which to communicate.
Regards,
Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

Comments (11)

• Mark (wildflowerman_2000) Rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had several request as to how to contact garden web so hopefully this will help.
    Just go down to the bottom of the Main Garden Web page where all the Garden forums are listed and in small print there is a spot where you can click to contact Garden Web. Click on it and you will get one of the boxes where you can type in a message and send it to them. This spot is also available on many of the pages you visit so any of them will work. Thanks for doing this and thre seems to be some serious interest in having this forum.
    Mark

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

That would be awesome. I always have questions about milkweed.

• flutterby64
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking for the Milkweed forum, Mark. That's a fantastic idea! I will definitely send a message.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I actually think a milkweed forum might be too narrow a topic to keep active. And how many people are going to be interested in milkweed and not interested in butterflies? There are native plant forums and prairie forums and woodland forums that have folk who can answer questions about particular milkweeds in different climates, if people here can't help. I don't have strong feeling either way, but I have seen others on various forums who are urging GardenWeb to clean house and get rid of forums that don't get much action. It's frustrating for new people who visit a forum and ask a question, but don't get a response for weeks or months because they happened across a slow forum. Just food for thought.

Martha

• felrog29
    10 years ago

I am new to growing milkweed. So I love the idea of having a Milkweed Forum. I don't want to have to search high an low across many GardenWeb forums to get my little patch of a milkweed garden growing.

Felicia

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Felicia,
    Where are you from and when did you start growing milkweed? What varieties do you have, and how are things going so far? Everyone on this forum is very approachable, so if you have any questions, or just want to share your excitement and tell us what you're doing, we'd love to hear more from you. Especially if you're seeing any Monarchs where you are. Hope your plants are thriving.

Martha

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

I think the interest in a milkweed forum has a lot to do with propagating and successfully growing milkweeds. There are so many different milkweeds, and a MW forum would allow for sharing seeds and knowledge. Whether or not there are enough people to keep it busy is a good question. Some of us got into growing milkweed for the Monarchs, and then began to grow milkweed for the pleasure of discovering all the different varieties and the challenges involved in growing them. I'd love to share knowledge and trials with others out there who find Asclepias intriguing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for your responses regarding setting up a Milkweed forum on gardenweb. I hope you have taken the time to contact gardenweb directly as per the instructions in the existing forums. The more interest shown for this forum the better chance we have of getting it. It will really be nice to have a forum devoted to milkweeds so those of us who share this interest won't have to search all over the gardenweb site to locate information.
    Regards,
    Mark

This post was edited by wildflowerman_2000 on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 11:40

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mary,
    I'm not really sure how this works but I plan on contacting them again every month until a decision has been made. I would hope they would notify me since I made the initial request but we'll have to wait and see. I'll put up notices on all the spots I've listed this information on when it becomes available.
    Again for those of you who have not contacted gardenweb requesting the milkweed forum I (and lots of others) would really appreciate your doing so as your opinion will make a difference!! Info on how to do this is in the thread above.
    Mark

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Martha,
    Some good valid points but having used gardenweb for almost 4 years now there seems to be enough interest to support this forum. This is especially important with the declining populations of Monarchs and anything we can all do to help with this situation the better. If they do add this forum and it doesn't get the response it should I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake in asking for it and will write them to do away with it. Thanks so much for your comments.
    Regards,
    Mark Rose (wildflowerman_2000)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    Well it's official the MILKWEED FORUM is up and running as of 4 PM today (10/21/13). It can be viewed at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/milkweed/ . Please pass this along to all your friends and let's all start doing everything "Milkweed" on this site. Thanks to all of you who sent in requests to Gardenweb and for your patience while this site was constructed. It's a brand new look for Gardenweb and our forum is the first to have it. Enjoy!!
    Regards,
    Mark (wildflowerman_2000)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville