Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spicebush Swallowtail eclosure

Posted by bandjzmom 7 NWGeorgia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 22:22

BOTH of my Spicebush Swallowtails eclosed while I was out of town for 2 days. (sigh) I had so wanted to see them. My son released them for me, and this was the best shot that he got.
Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spicebush Swallowtail eclosure

What a beautiful male spicebush swallowtail, Angie! I'm sorry you didn't get to release them.

Sherry

o

Thanks Sherry. I was sorry too. I had to take my older son down to UWG for freshman orientation for a couple of days, so it was an unavoidable and necessary trip. They were so pretty. Wish I had been able to get the photos and see them though. :o)

o

Angie,

I'm sorry, too, that you weren't able to see them before they ventured forth but you did a fantastic job getting them to this stage.

Your son also did a great job capturing such a nice photo of your grown up baby!

Thanks, Sherry, for pointing out the gender. Now I'll have an idea of what to look for when mine eclose. I hope they are as healthy as Angie's butterfly!

Mary

o

You're welcome, Mary, you know I love to talk butterflies! The coloring on the lower wings of male spicebush swallowtails can vary from bright ice blue, like Angie's, to gray to blue green to gray green. Females' lower wings are consistently true blue, like the blue on a female tiger swallowtail - if you get one that's blue, you sometimes need to study it a bit.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here