Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickinla_gw

Finally saw a Frit

rickinla
9 years ago

After going through a butterfly drought for the last few weeks, an ELF Fritillary showed up today. I was on the mower and assumed it was a Gulf Fritillary. She laid several eggs but I didn't see any on the tendrils, they were on the leaves. Anyway, it was the first Frit of the year and a welcome sight as I've seen nothing for a while.

Comments (12)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

That egg looks white, Rick, like a variegated frit egg. They don't lay their eggs on tendrils, just in the leaves.

Congrats, congrats! I haven't seen either a variegated or gulf frit.

Sherry

• rickinla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope it is a Varigated Fritillary, I've never seen one. She seemed to like the new p. Incarnata that was popping up and the eggs were white.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Congratulations on luring them in. I wish I could send you some of my gulf frits butterflies right now--several sudden 100+ degree heat waves have cause all of the spring leaves to completely collapse on my large vines. The butterflies are being lured in by the vine, but then there is no decent foliage for them to lay eggs on. :( I cannot buy replacements, because the nursery plants will have been sprayed. They will just have to wait for the vines to leaf out again. The few seedlings in the area are only 1' tall.

I had to laugh a bit about the butterflies not laying eggs on the tendrils--I have had gulf frits miss leaves and tendrils, and plant the eggs on the block wall. Close enough for the youngsters, I guess.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Same here, gulf frits frequently lay their eggs on the fence that supports my passionvines! :/

I wish you could send me some of those frits - my vines are growing all over everything!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    9 years ago

Wow! Lucky lucky lucky you Rick! I am just pining away here in GA for some Variegated Frit eggs. My Passionvine is just getting up the fence now. The only Fritillary I have seen so far this year is a Great Spangled. You know, last year, I didn't have one single Gulf egg or cat. I hope this year is different.~~Angie

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

Yes

It is I think it is a Variegated Because one has been hanging out
    In my backyard for abt two weeks laying eggs(white) on
    Scattered Passifolia.

The Gulf Frittilaries will come later.

DD

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

I saw a variegated fritillary flying through my garden today. It stopped at some violets, so it may have laid some eggs, but I haven't found any.

I usually just go to the garden one day and find a few late instar VFs.

It was good to see some type of fritillary!

Sherry

• little_bee
    9 years ago

What kind of plant is that?

• rickinla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Passiflora Incarnata

• rickinla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like a Variegated Fritillary to me. Of the eggs laid, ants and wasps got all but 2. I found 2 cats and put them in a cage and one disappeared. This is the lone survivor.

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Rickinla, what does "ELF" stand for? Thank you. Congratulations on the precious eggs and caterpillars! I heard they can sadly be cannibalistic.

• rickinla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Egg laying female. I've not noticed any cannibalism amongst the cats but everything else eats them.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County