Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_sp

Milkweed

tucker_sp
10 years ago

Very large common milkweed in our front yard - very few Monarchs here in MN so far, but one was on these plants a couple of days age - have not seen eggs, bur will continue to look for them, and also larvae. Also have swamp milkweed in back yard.

Comments (9)

• tracey_nj6
    10 years ago

My swamp milkweed is already going to seed; it's too early! Have only seen 1 monarch, and that was about 3 weeks ago. I keep checking the milkweed for eggs and haven't seen a one. Boatloads of wasps, so I'll have to grab anything I can find quick. I think it's going to be a bad year :(

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Bravo to you, Tucker, for growing for the Monarchs. Your plants are beautiful. I am so sorry to hear you're seeing very few Monarchs in your area. Very bad news. I hope they're just late ... but time is moving on.

Mary

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Nice patch of Common Milkweed! Thank you for planting for the Monarchs. Just keep watching for cats. You never know when they will just pop up! Good luck!
    Angie

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Those of you who haven't seen Monarchs yet, keep your chins up. It's a very odd year. But, even if you don't see any cats or eggs or butterflies this year, you can still have a huge impact on the future of the Monarchs. I just read a post from a man who wants to grow milkweed, but doesn't have seed and is short on cash. We can all relate to that. Any of you who have milkweed plants, collect as many seeds as you can so you can make it available to folks living in areas where the milkweed has been wiped out. I've posted on the seed savers forum and the seed exchange forum asking the experts there to make an effort to collect as much as they can, as well. Keep up the fight!

Martha

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

docmom is probably speaking of me, which is absolutely fine. I am down on my luck for money but rich with areas I can plant milkweed. I have over 5 acres that I will plant all and every seed I get. Even if I don't see monarchs I will collect and donate seed. Yeahp.... I am OCD lol...

Unfortunately I havent figured out how to send a SASE to the USA from Canada. Help warranted.

Thanks

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I have access to tons of Common, Swamp and Butterfly Milkweed that I intend to overwinter in my garage. I am more than willing to donate to any and all seeking seed to replenish milkweed in their areas.
    I will see if there is still a stand of Whorled Milkweed in a bank parking lot here in town. I can donate them as well.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Leafhead,
    Are you planning to overwinter plants in your garage? All those types of milkweed are native to Wisconsin, and they normally have a dormant period during the cold of winter and then grow again when the weather warms up again. Is there a particular reason you don't want to put them in the ground? I'm afraid they won't be very happy in containers because of the long tap roots they typically grow. Though I have to admit, I've transplanted swamp milkweed and found more of a giant mop of roots rather than a central tap root. Just curious what you are doing?

Martha

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Leafhead I would be happy with any and all seeds. I have enough area I can plant a pile for both the monarchs and seed collection. Pm me if you think you can send some seed.

TIA!!!

SCG

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I plan to collect as much asI can. I'm a little concerned that the pollinators aren't doing their job. I only saw one seed pod developing in my patch of A incarnata. But, I have new blooms forming. I should have A tuberosa and common milkweed as well. I'm sure if you check back here in early fall you'll find lots of folk happy to send you seed. I can foot the postage once in a while.

Martha

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County