Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Imperial Moth Since Before Katrina!

Posted by misssherry Z8/9MS (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 0:19

Before Hurricane Katrina in August, 2005, big imperial moths often spent the day on the window screens or sometimes on the side of the house. Since then, I haven't seen a single imperial moth, until tonight, that is! This one was underneath the garage light -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The biggest lep I've ever seen was an imperial moth. One night I kept hearing a thumping noise against my window. I went to the front porch, turned on the light and saw a HUGE mostly yellow imperial moth flying off. I imagine this moth was a female, as I don't think a male would ever be this big. I would estimate this moth had a wingspan of about ?7"!!

The one tonight probably had about a ?5" wingspan, big enough. It's sure good to see one again - now I'll have to look up their favorite host plants.

If anybody knows whether this is a male or female, please let me know.

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Imperial Moth Since Before Katrina!

Yea!

I'd say your imperial is a male.

Favorite host plants? The studies I've seen indicate the favorites are regional. Pines are a good bet.

o

That is exciting! Thanks for sharing.

o

Yay, so happy that you have them back again, Sherry!
Cathy

o

Yes, me, too, Cathy and Sandy!

I agree that it's a male, KC. I looked them up, and read that they'll use a lot of different trees, most any tree in the woods around here. And the picture of a male by a female showed the male with a lot of purple and a narrow body at the bottom, much like this one.

Somebody brought me a last instar imperial caterpillar years ago, I put it in a container of clean dirt, it burrowed and emerged the next spring. The cat looked like a hairy pickle! :)

Sherry

o

Last night there were two male imperial moths on the porch! One was faded, looked old, but one looked new and beautiful -

photo 2014ImperialMoth_zps7f220add.jpg

Sherry

o

Gorgeous Lep. Hope to see some of those up here in WI.

o

Wow, beautiful moth. I would love to see them.

o

Hopefully I'll be seeing many next summer. My 20 imperial cats are getting big. I read that it takes between 4-6 weeks. Anyone know if it's usually closer to 4 or 6? How will I know when they are getting ready to pupate?

The one on the top left just molted two days ago, he is starting to get hairy, so neat!

o

Beautiful!

o

Really beautiful. I never see this type of butterfly. Awesome color combination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here