Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Dark Skipper ID

molanic
9 years ago

For the first time a few days ago I saw a small black butterfly, took some pictures and still can't figure out what it is. Then yesterday I see it again and take some more pictures. Upon comparing them though I'm not sure it is the same species even.

I'm fairly certain they are both spread wing skippers at least. I thought the first one was maybe a common sootywing even though it didn't total match my book or online images. It had an iridescent quality to it that changed with the light sort of like a grackle. I read that newly emerged sootywings look like this and then it fades and is duller looking as it ages.

Then the second butterfly when checking the photos has a different look and I'm wondering if it isn't a juvenal's duskywing? I submitted the first butterfly to BAMONA and am waiting to hear back. I will probably submit the second set of photos too, but haven't done so yet. Just wondering what you all think. The light photos I overexposed to try and see the markings better, but from a distance they all looked really dark. One thing that keeps throwing me is that the body and head are all dark on both of them, but online other pictures usually show significant white spots on the head.

common sootywing?
{{gwi:497641}}
{{gwi:497642}}
{{gwi:497643}}

juvenal's duskywing?
{{gwi:497644}}
{{gwi:497645}}
{{gwi:497646}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews