Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystalfoxfire

Cabbage Whites Have Eclosed! :)

krystalfoxfire
11 years ago

3 of 9 pupae eclosed this morning around 10am! :D

I was alerted when the wind caught up in the blinds next to the terrarium and started making a racket.

I went over to shut the window in time to see the 3rd butterfly begin to emerge!

All 3 are female and healthy! :)

They will be released along with the others in a few days time. (and I would like to try and breed 2 for a few more eggs and try a 2nd round at butterfly raising)

I've moved them from their little terrarium lined with mesh screen, into an old 10 gallon fishtank (which looks rather bleak compared to the chipper looking pink/purple one, lol).

In the tank; I have a small sponge with water, a few branches for perching, a small vine like plant, and a home-made nectar feeder consisting of a plastic tube and a fake flower with a hole through the center for access to nectar. There is also some nectar in a shallow lid, incase they don't get the hint from the flower.

How can I be sure they are feeding? Or do they need to feed on nectar so soon after eclosure? Is there anything else I should give them until they are all ready to be let go?

Going to have to learn how to climb some trees or make a serious moth trap if I'm going to find something other than Cabbage Whites around here! ;)

{{gwi:498038}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored