Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a question

Posted by Protego 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 3:39

Hello

Happy 4th of July! Good health to you!

For Monarch butterflies on the day they emerge what's the best things to provide them with? My butterfly enclosure's real big. Thanks so much guys. You guys are fantastic.

This post was edited by Protego on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 3:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a question

Butterflies generally don't eat for one day after eclosure. On the second day, they'll need fresh flower nectar from Milkweed and other plants.
You can also set up a makeshift butterfly feeder with a plastic kitchen scrubber in a bowl of either sugar water or Hummingbird nectar.
This will come in handy for rainy days when release is not recommended.

John

o

Congratulations on the new butterflies! Listen to Leafhead/John. He knows of that which he speaks. LOL. Happy Fouth to All!!!

Martha

o

I love you Leaf! Where do I place those things? Does it matter? On some kind of platform near the top? Or can it be placed on the ground? And do they need shade from the sun? If yes, how much shade? Thank you alot! And same to you too Doc! Lol

o

You can place a pot of live nectar-providing flowers or a vase of cut flowers on the ground in the enclosure. Live, growing flowers will be able to provide more nectar, but fresh cut flowers can be adequate. Shade will protect the enclosure from getting too warm. If it can be under a dappled shade tree, that would be perfect. I usually keep mine in total shade for my own comfort and protection, though they might not be as active.

Martha

o

What about the home-made butterfly feeder thing? Does it havfta be on a platform? Platform near the top? Does it matter? Thank you!

o

I don't think it really matters, but you can always be creative, and an elevated feeder may make them feel less vulnerable.
Are you raising Monarchs to lay eggs in your enclosure?

John

o

Yay got your response before I went to sleep. Again thank you. I'm not. I have yet to do such a thing (eggs thing). Hmmmm I should do that (the elevated platform thing).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here