Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturesfolly

How many of us are Monarch Waystations?

NaturesFolly
11 years ago

I was reading on the Monarch Watch site and I came across an interesting page about becoming a certified Monarch Waystation

I have the perfect spot just in front of my pond that I had planned to make into a butterfly garden anyway. Here is a link for the info in case you are interested also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Waystations

Comments (10)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I've had two houses and a cottage registered as Monarch Waystations. Unfortunately, I've lost all three through divorce/moving, etc. I'm now developing my fourth. It is fun to watch the wildlife diversity increase as the garden plants mature and critters discover the friendly oasis. I haven't seen any Monarchs on my property (yet), but I saw a Black Swallowtail last night and a Tiger Swallowtail a few days ago. I'll have to check my dill, fennel, and parsley for eggs. It's too bad there needs to be a registration fee to be a Waystation. But, I guess everything costs money. I look forward to hearing from others.

Martha

• NaturesFolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice! I hope next year I can be certified also. The area where I want the garden is now infested with trumpet vines so we are working on eliminating it by putting round up in a canning jar and poking holes in the lid and inserting the vines.. hopefully this will work.. otherwise it will mean tons of digging to get it out and no gaurantee that it wont pop up again.

• caterwallin
    11 years ago

I've had our property registered as a Monarch Waystation for a few years now, although I've had to downsize from what I originally had.

Nature's Folly, I hope that the method of soaking the trumpet vines in Roundup works for you. That's how I killed off my passionvine last year and it worked. If it hasn't come back by now, I highly doubt that it will. I still have passionvine, only I keep it in a container now so it doesn't get out of hand.

Cathy

• NaturesFolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Cathy, I didnt realize that passionvine could be so invasive this far north.

I would assume that it would take a couple of weeks to be able to see any progress with the big kill, goodness I hope so anyway. The flowers are pretty but not pretty enough to deal with how invasive it is.

I would love to see some pictures of the waystations.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

I've been a waystation for several years. The $ is actually a donation to this non-profit organization and should be deductible on your tax return if you choose to claim it. Non-profits have to get their funding somewhere, and this is one of the ways, as well as selling tags, larvae kits, signs for your waystation, and other things in their store at Monarch Watch.

Susan

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

My yard is also a Monarch Waystation! :-) One of these days I'm going to figure out how to post pictures of my garden on the MonarchWatch.org website!

~Laura

• rosefenn
    11 years ago

I am about to be certified as a Monarch waystation. I started a monarch garden with one of their seed kits about 4 years ago. My monarch garden is the easiest thing I ever did, and I am the envy of the neighbors. Tons of milkweeds and every year I add more nectar plants. The plants you grow require almost no care, except watering. Oh, and dividing every few years. Also, right now you can get Monarch rearing kits, if you are interested here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch rearing kit

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

I'm also a Monarch Waystation.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I realize this is an old threat. I just looked into this. It seems way too easy. About 20 years I had my garden certified for the Wildlife Backyard habitat. I didn’t only have to provide the information, but also send in pictures. I don’t know how this works now, but with the Monarch Way Station you just have to click for some answers. Seems everybody can just say so. I more than qualify for an xl one, but it seems a bit weird if nobody checks.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths