Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

"Got Milkweed?"

docmom_gw
10 years ago

We've started a new campaign! "Got Milkweed?" Everyone who lives anywhere will soon have a patch of milkweed somewhere on their property or in a pot on their balcony. A milkweed patch will be as ubiquitous as a television or couch. The measure of homeownership status will be the size of their milkweed patch. This is the new normal. It developed spontaneously out of the "Adopt a Newbie" thread. We're even thinking of making t-shirts or other paraphernalia to advertise the campaign, and "Got Milkweed?" will be our slogan or catch phrase. Join us and spread the word!

Martha

Comments (35)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

I like this. Do you think the "Got Milk?" people will feel we are infringing on their slogan? Hope not.

Sandy

• Liz
    10 years ago

I think it is possible. Sometimes they go after this copyright infringement stuff aggressively. On the other hand, we're pretty small potatoes and they might not notice/care.

Alternatively, maybe they'd be interested in helping, as a public spirited/charity thing. Monarch conservation could be a nice tie-in for an agricultural group like the Milk Council.
    Liz

• Liz
    10 years ago

I just spoke with my DH about this. He is not a lawyer, but he knows a fair bit about the intellectual property issue from his work. He thinks we are probably okay for a number of reasons. It is a trademark, not a copyright, so the rules are less strict. It is a parody, which is protected. And the phrase is very short and in common usage, so it probably cannot be protected. However, we really need a lawyer. Maybe there is a lawyer on one of the forums who could answer this, if we can post the questions so it shows up on all forums. Or maybe one of us knows a lawyer to ask? I will try to ask my daughter-in-law, But she is only a second-year law student.
    Liz

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I honestly was thinking of keeping the tshirts a fairly small venture. I checked on the got milkweed websites - there are two separate ones - and no one offered a "Got Milkweed?" tshirt. I also think since the slogan is so out there - and you see "Got _____?" tshirts for all kinds of things, it would be difficult to argue. Especially if we aren't trying to profit from it.

~Lalura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I hope this works out, but should you check with whoever 'owns' the 'Got Milk' thing? They should be thrilled that we'd be borrowing on their logo, since it would help their image, but if you can check with whoever's in charge at the ?milk board? whatever it's called, that would be good.

I'll buy a lot of tee shirts.

Sherry

• kchd
    10 years ago

Here is a website I found with some pertinent info to consider, as well. I think we are likely ok, since we are not looking to make money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Got whatever?

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just went to the California Milk and Cheese website and clicked on their "Contact Us" button. I described who we are and what we are doing, briefly, and asked if they would mind if we used their phrase--amended to milkweed, of course. We'll see what kind reply I get.

Martha

• Liz
    10 years ago

I checked Wikipedia, which as usual had useful information. It appears that the slogan has been used many times and the board largely ignored the parodies. They did go after PETA for its "Got pus?" campaign. I can't say I blame them. I think we are fine.
    Liz

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I've already been to a tshirt store, they are working up the art and working on quotes. Looks to be approximately $14.00 give or take a dollar or so. Still interested?

I know I am and I only have to have 12 ordered (minimum order.) I will send a pic of the artwork when it comes.

~Laura

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

How about bumper stickers too? T-shirts can picture a Monarch cat sporting a "Milkweed Moustache", if that's not too infringing...

• Tony G
    10 years ago

FYI- MonarchWatch.org has either given away or sold "got milkweed?" bumper stickers before. not sure about shirts

I like the idea, but I would also consider more original ideas to avoid future issues with the "milk" people unless you are just planning on making a few shirts and calling it a day.

They trademarked the slogan for a reason. My two cents, Tony

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

"Plant Milkweed--the Monarchs will thank you!"

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spoke with my artist nephew. He has actually been involved in quite a bit of graphic art on behalf of nonprofits and said he'd try to put something together.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I've already talked to a screen printer and artist... I should have artwork and exact quotes tomorrow.

Sandy and I will need something ASAP if the news picks up on her Monarch story.

~Laura

• kchd
    10 years ago

Wow, the interest in Got Milkweed? is great!

I'd love to see what different designs folks come up with, then put it to a vote.

For a design idea, I was also thinking something along the lines of having the words "Got Milkweed?" with a monarch caterpillar crawling up and around the "G" and a monarch butterfly perched on the "d" Wish I had more time... I'd put my skillz to work. LoL!

Katie

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Great idea, but you may get more static from the several companies that already sell Got Milkweed T-shirts than from the original Got Milk people. You may want to review existing graphics for these shirts to achieve originality.

Note that this activity is so common that Google suggests "T shirt" as an additional search phrase for "got milkweed".

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Just a reminder...in some states, milkweeds are also used by Queen butterfly caterpillars. I believe the Queen butterflies are experiencing a decline in numbers similar to what the Monarchs have been experiencing. I used to see quite a few, but now it's rare to see them here. I raised one Queen caterpillar so far this year, and recently that butterfly emerged and flew away. I saw only one Monarch butterfly last spring, and didn't see any of their caterpillars at all. Hopefully, it'll be better in the fall.

This post was edited by linda_tx8 on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 23:55

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I'll buy coffee cups, bumper stickers, baseball hats, etc., also.

How exciting!

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I'm definitely in the mkt for a T-shirt, or even a bumper sticker or coffee cup.

• flora_sassafrass
    10 years ago

Hi there,

I would strongly recommend contacting the advertising/public relations agency responsible for coining the phrase. The "Got Milk" ad campaign was conceptualized and designed by the gurus at Weber Shandwick (www.webershandwick.com) in 2001-ish. I am pretty sure they no longer handle this campaign, but they can at least provide you the legal ramifications, if any, since they designed the concept in the first place.

All the best with your endeavor. It sounds fantastic!

• Tony G
    10 years ago

one more thing....there are also websites that have design contests so you can vote on entries from different designers.

In my experience this is a much better way to get a final design you actually like (and that people would want to purchase on merchandise)

I used this company before and got great designs to choose from:

Here is a link that might be useful: Logo Design Contests

• kchd
    10 years ago

Has anyone heard anything back? I think there were many folks in a state of "I'm checking on X"

For a design, I was thinking along the lines of this.

• ranpc123
    10 years ago

Got mine on Long Island NY! I heard about the herbicides that kill off plants that the Monarchs need. I also planted two butterfly bushes to keep butterflies-a-flutterin'! I saw a yellow tiger the other days, so I am excited by my efforts. Got a lilac and wisteria to keep my little "butties" busy!

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've not received any response yet, from the California Dairy folk or from my artist nephew. The rest of the world doesn't have the sense of urgency that we all do. We see the fall migration looming with not very many Monarchs to show for our summer of hard work.

Martha

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I have gone on ahead with my personal plan - and I'm just going to stick with local friends... not looking to make a profit, just provide some shirts to wear for a butterfly release that Sandy may have in the very near future - we couldn't wait to vote on multiple ideas or contact/approval from agencies.

~~Laura

• kchd
    10 years ago

Best wishes to you and Sandy on your endeavors, Laura! I just read about the possible news coverage of the butterfly release, and I don't blame you one bit for forging ahead. If you get a chance, please share your t-shirt design. I'm sure there are several folks here who wouldn't mind multiple versions of t-shirts that support growing milkweeds for monarchs.

Katie

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katie,
    You are absolutely right. The world will be a better place with a few different options for items that advertise the need for conservation efforts.

Sandy and Laura,
    Good luck with the news people. I hope they show interest and I hope they do a good job. It really is their responsibility to make the clip interesting to the public. All you need to do is smile. Think of all of us. We'll be thinking of you.

Martha

• tnu07mom
    10 years ago

If you decide later to sell more tshirts, please let us know. I think it is a great idea and would definitely be interested. I hope the news does a story. It sounds like an awesome time!

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

News update! I was contacted today via email from one of the reporters at our local CBS affiliate and they ARE interested! :-)

~Laura

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

@wifey2mikey - Excellent!!!! if they do cover it can you please provide a link to the story. Wonder if you gave us the email address you used and we started emailing them about it if it will help or hinder your situation?

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

South Country Guy,

Thanks for offering to help us. It looks like a go. We will definitely provide a link to the story.

Sandy (friend of Laura)

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sandy is really the spearhead of this - I refer to myself as Laura, friend of Sandy! If it weren't for her I wouldn't have any monarchs to raise anyway. :-)

~Laura

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

This is awesome! I would love a link to the story. I am thinking of calling and e-mailing our local news station and introducing Wisconsin to our efforts at my retirement community where I work. I have gotten residents there involved in the raising process and have held seminars on Butterfly Gardening. I have had two garden tours including members of The Wild Ones, a local garden group invested in saving the Monarch and other threatened and endangered pollinators. I am still trying to get them registered as a Monarch Waystation. I am currently raising a lot of Black Swallowtails and a few Monarch cats.
    I would love to introduce our new slogan "Got Milkweed" to Wisconsin. We're a fairly green state and this may catch on here too.

• lenahall
    10 years ago

sign me up!!

• amerique2
    10 years ago

It's a wonderful idea! And, Katie, your design is beautiful!