Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinion on Swallowtail chrysalis

Posted by ians_gardener z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 7:00

Found a black swallowtail chysalis hanging on a limb, but after a very windy day, I found it on the ground....is there anything I can do to help the critter out? Should I try to super glue it back?
Took a pic of its condition....

Thanks
Ian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinion on Swallowtail chrysalis

It looks like it's got a crack in it. I see a dark spot near the chrysalis - was it oozing liquid? If so, there's nothing that can be done for it. I wouldn't try to glue it back.

Sherry

o

Looked at it with my hand lens and it is not cracked, nor is it oozing anything.....
He/she moves....ie wiggles back and forth when touched (its alive)...
So I would like to know whether I should leave it on its side or try to hang it back up.....
I'd like to help it...just for the sake of helping out this critter...

o

It should do fine on its side. Just make sure you have something nearby for the butterfly to climb up and dry its wings after it emerges...maybe a stick or something like that.

This post was edited by alex928 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:06

o

Ditto - I move my chrysalids fairly often and put them on their side. They emerge from that position just fine.

Sherry

o

Thank you!! Much appreciated....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here