Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Mating hummer moths

jeanner
12 years ago

In mid-air, while nectaring??? It was quite a sight, I had never seen this before.

{{gwi:498889}}

{{gwi:498890}}

{{gwi:498891}}

{{gwi:498892}}

Comments (17)

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Oh MY MY MY MY MY....WHAT a capture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. You were really blessed to witness this, and then to be able to capture them so clearly...Wow. Terrific photos! Thank you so much for sharing.~~Angie

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

The caption for your pictures should be, "I did it my way!"

Those pictures are beyond fabulous, Jean! I never would have guessed they'd do it mid-air while nectaring - butterflies hang out and try to hide in bushes or other dense plants.

The zinnia is great, too!

Sherry

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

Wow! You're inflight pictures are just awesome.

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Great photos!!

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

Where is the darn "edit" button? It drives me nuts when I screw up "you're" and "your."

• jeanner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know how you feel about not being able to edit the post, I think GW needs some more recent software!

I'm keeping an eye out for eggs - last year I found 4 cats on my nanny berry bush that was just a little start in a pot .... not 10 feet from a whole row of snowberry bushes!

• butterflyman
    12 years ago

Some of the best photos I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Awesome Jeanne!
    Snowberry clearwings must be having a good year. I saw one today. I haven't seen any for a year or two.
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

neat!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So tonight I checked the nanny berry bush where I found 4 cats last year and I found several eggs scattered around the bush. They are a bright green and on the top of the leaf. Could these be snowberry moth eggs? Everything else I found on the net indicated they laid them on the bottom of the leaf. I also found several in a nearby arrowwood viburnum.

• seafire1
    12 years ago

Cool pic, Us female love to multitask!!

• sunshinenc
    12 years ago

Fabulous pictures!! These are truly amazing.. What is your camera if you don't mind? Thanks, Regina

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Jeanner~My antivirus program won't allow me to view your pictures..."Troj/Unif-B has been found at this website"....is part of the message I get. Just thought I'd let you know.

• Tony G
    12 years ago

amazing photos!! If I was the male I would have felt a little insulted ;)

• jeanner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jaynine, Thank you for letting me know. I've not had anyone else have any problems, what anti-virus software are you using? I dont know why you are getting that, I haven't updated anything but photos on my website for a long time. I use shared hosting so I will check with my provider.

Today two of the eggs hatched and they have the cutest little tiny horns!

• jeanner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Regina,

I am using a Canon 50D - those photos were taken with a 100mm macro lens but my lens of choice for butterflies is a 300mm lens.

• jaynine
    12 years ago

You're welcome. Sophos is the program that gave me the warning. I've read there are such things as 'false positives', but that doesn't change the fact that I can't see your incredible pictures (and I'm a little jealous)!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm