Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mating hummer moths

Posted by jeanner SW Ohio - Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 8:20

In mid-air, while nectaring??? It was quite a sight, I had never seen this before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mating hummer moths

Oh MY MY MY MY MY....WHAT a capture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. You were really blessed to witness this, and then to be able to capture them so clearly...Wow. Terrific photos! Thank you so much for sharing.~~Angie

o

The caption for your pictures should be, "I did it my way!"

Those pictures are beyond fabulous, Jean! I never would have guessed they'd do it mid-air while nectaring - butterflies hang out and try to hide in bushes or other dense plants.

The zinnia is great, too!

Sherry

o

Wow! You're inflight pictures are just awesome.

o

Great photos!!

o

Where is the darn "edit" button? It drives me nuts when I screw up "you're" and "your."

o

I know how you feel about not being able to edit the post, I think GW needs some more recent software!

I'm keeping an eye out for eggs - last year I found 4 cats on my nanny berry bush that was just a little start in a pot .... not 10 feet from a whole row of snowberry bushes!

o

Some of the best photos I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.

o

Awesome Jeanne!
Snowberry clearwings must be having a good year. I saw one today. I haven't seen any for a year or two.
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o

neat!

o

So tonight I checked the nanny berry bush where I found 4 cats last year and I found several eggs scattered around the bush. They are a bright green and on the top of the leaf. Could these be snowberry moth eggs? Everything else I found on the net indicated they laid them on the bottom of the leaf. I also found several in a nearby arrowwood viburnum.

o

Cool pic, Us female love to multitask!!

o

Fabulous pictures!! These are truly amazing.. What is your camera if you don't mind? Thanks, Regina

o

Jeanner~My antivirus program won't allow me to view your pictures..."Troj/Unif-B has been found at this website"....is part of the message I get. Just thought I'd let you know.

o

amazing photos!! If I was the male I would have felt a little insulted ;)

o

jaynine, Thank you for letting me know. I've not had anyone else have any problems, what anti-virus software are you using? I dont know why you are getting that, I haven't updated anything but photos on my website for a long time. I use shared hosting so I will check with my provider.

Today two of the eggs hatched and they have the cutest little tiny horns!

o

Regina,

I am using a Canon 50D - those photos were taken with a 100mm macro lens but my lens of choice for butterflies is a 300mm lens.

o

You're welcome. Sophos is the program that gave me the warning. I've read there are such things as 'false positives', but that doesn't change the fact that I can't see your incredible pictures (and I'm a little jealous)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here