Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost 5 Monarchs to a mouse

Posted by minrose 4Mn (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 8:22

I thought they were safe in the two pavilions I had them, they had just recently hatched the day before. I am bummed, they did not get a chance to fly or live very long. The mouse chewed a whole in the two pavilions I had them in, I was going to release them today!
Needless to say I am getting mousetraps today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost 5 Monarchs to a mouse

Wow, that is unreal. I didn't know mice would eat butterflies--thought they were herbivores.

o

It seems like most herbivores will turn into omnivores, including caterpillars, when given the chance. There are videos of cows eating rabbits and chickens that have been making the rounds.

Rodents will definitely eat insects.

At my last house, I used to sit my mothel/modified bird cage on my deck when I was attracting male moths. Mice started eating my females so I ended up putting mouse traps on the floor of the cage before I figured out a way to get the cage off the deck floor.

KC

o

How sad Minrose. I'm so sorry. I didn't know a mouse would eat a butterfly either.

o

'So sorry, Minrose!
Years ago, when I first started raising caterpillars, a mouse chewed through two of the mesh coverings of cages on my porch and ate several monarch chrysalides. But I didn't know they'd eat an adult butterfly.
Sherry

o

Thank you for your kind comments, it was a very sad sight to see. I am putting all my Monarchs up high in another room where we do have 2 good mousers cats roaming around. It is high enough cats can get them but they can keep an eye on the mice. I have mice traps set in the room I did have them in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here